Denver



I had never been to Denver before until last year, and now I have been twice. My son moved there a year ago and we have been able to visit at Christmas time and now this past fall. Totally different city each time of course, due to the weather. The first visit we went to the Christmas Market, the ice skating rink, ate dinner and did a little shopping at the 16th Street Mall. In a beautiful snowfall with really large, fluffy flakes. And the above picture shows it this past fall. Gorgeous sunny day, didn't need a coat, lots of people outside.....and no snow.




Our second visit to Denver we rambled down the 16th Street Mall again - this time we didn't do any shopping. Just enjoyed the sunshine and some piano playing. Did you know Denver has pianos all down the 16th Street Mall for your playing and listening enjoyment? They do! And they have decorated bulls all over the city, too. We stopped for a drink at a Champagne Bar at Larimer Square. (I don't know why we didn't do Larimer Square at Christmas - I'm sure it looks beautiful all lit up - but I'm guessing we ran out of time.) Larimer Square is shops and restaurants with a couple outdoor cafes. A really cute area of the city.







I've been obsessed with the big blue bear looking into the Denver Convention Center since I first heard about it. I don't know why. And we didn't get a chance to see it on our first visit so everyone humored me and walked over to see it. It's called "I See What You Mean" and I even heard that The Ladies Fancywork Society of Denver created a huge blue crocheted ball to shackle to the bear as another art installation. Which was promptly stolen.



Next we headed to Wynkoop Brewery which was the first craft brewery in Denver. There's outdoor seating and an upstairs pool table. Beer. Food. But we didn't eat as we were headed to the Cherry Cricket in the Cherry Creek area for some of Denver's best burgers. Only healthy eating when on vacation.

A fun day in Denver. And I still haven't made it to The Tattered Cover Bookstore, the newly revamped Union Station, the Denver Mint or a Rockies Game. Always more to see and do.

We did however make it to Snooze....a breakfast, lunch and brunch place made famous by a MTV Real World cast who apparently ate there all the time while filming. I don't know about that but I can easily say that their Pineapple Upside-Down Pancakes were out of this world!



From the menu:" Buttermilk pancakes with  carmelized pineapple chunks, housemade vanilla creme anglaise and cinnamon butter." Oh my, my! One of the best pancakes ever! If you go: There are four Denver locations. They do not take reservations. Be prepared for a long wait. We went around 11am on a weekday morning and had a 30 minute wait so weekends must be a bear.


Linking up with  #fridaypostcards!!!!

Comments

  1. I hear and see so many enticing things about this city. We'll fly through on our way to Steamboat this winter -- wish we had time for a layover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very interesting city - hope you make it there someday!

      Delete
  2. I haven't been to Denver in forever. You've made me realize a visit is long overdue. The blue bear looks awesome. And, a stop at that champagne bar is obviously a must-do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the champagne bar - great happy hour specials! And I it was great finally seeing the big blue bear!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts