Lake Powell

Have you ever seen a photo of someplace and just had to go there?  That's how we went to the Na Pali Cliffs in Kauai. Mr UR saw a picture in a book and said "That's where I want to go!" We spent 2 years planning and saving miles and points  -  and we went. And when we saw the Na Pali Coast, it was so much prettier than I even imagined! 

Years ago, I saw a picture of Lake Powell and put that on my travel wish list. Water surrounded by picturesque desert cliffs? Count me in! So when we headed to Southwestern Utah I put Lake Powell on the itinerary. 





Lake Powell sits on the border of Utah and Arizona with the closest town being Page, Arizona. Approximately 2 million people visit and boat here each year. Known as a houseboating heaven, many people rent houseboats for a weekend or week. We had a 2 1/2 hour drive through beautiful desert cliffs and mesas  from Utah to Lake Powell. Mr. UR had reserved a pontoon boat for a couple hours at Antelope Point Marina. 

There is a severe drought in the western US and the lake is down by about 100 feet. (You can see the usual lake levels in the photos.) And unfortunately, our day was very cloudy, windy and was spitting rain at times. Not to worry -  no chance of getting sunburnt!


When you arrive at Antelope Point Marina, you park your car in the lot and the staff picks you and your things up by golf cart. They then deposit you down at the boat docks where you fill out your paperwork and ...off you go!











The marina staff handed us a map and with Mr. UR as the captain we headed out to the big water.  Part of Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, Lake Powell is huge!








We had a picnic lunch, cruised around and tried to make the most of our 2 hours on the lake despite the ominous clouds that were threatening storms. The funny part of it all is that I brought a swim suit to get in the lake - why not? It's May in Arizona, right? Little did I know that I would need a windbreaker tied as tightly as possible!










We were one of the few boats I saw out that day - it was a weekday in May - but I imagine that it gets extremely crowded in the summer. It was really cool to have the whole lake to ourselves.













Towards the end of our time on the lake, Mr. UR decided to head down Navajo Canyon. I was still dealing with the drawstring on my windbreaker and not paying attention to where we were. But when I looked up - oh my! The pictures don't do it justice but this is a narrow portion of the lake with towering walls that is just gorgeous. I'm sure my mouth dropped in awe when I saw the scenery. I just couldn't believe the beauty. 













Too soon, our time at Lake Powell was over. And even through the clouds and spitting rain, it was beautiful. Almost magical. I'm envious of those that get to go there all the time. But I'm so glad that I was able to go there - if only once.And with that, we took our golf cart ride back up to the parking lot and it was on to another adventure!


How about you? Have you been to Lake Powell? Houseboated there ( is that a word or did I just make a new one up?) ?











I'm linking up with: Weekend Travel Inspiration at Malaysian Meanders, The Weekly Postcard at Travel Notes and Beyond and Weekend Wanderlust at A Brit and A Southerner. Go check em out!

Comments

  1. Wow - such an interesting landscape. We are so used to seeing this type of terrain as desert, so Lake Powell almost looks out of place :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - it's a bit like the "mirage in the desert" sort of thing. Very beautiful.

      Delete
  2. Even though the weather wasn't perfect, having such a popular and beautiful place to yourself - priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very cool - I can't imagine the summer weekends after having it all to yourself. It was almost eerie. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous! Too cold for swimming, huh? We're headed to Lake Havasu in April, and I'm still packing my swimsuit just in case!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I think our cooler weather was a rarity! Have fun in Lake Havasu!

      Delete
  4. The landscape shocked me a little. Very unusual to what I expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite different looking than your regular, run-of-the-mill lake. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful and unusual landscape! I have Lake Powell on my USA Coast to Coast Road Trip Itinerary - unfortunately whilst I was there time got away from me and I didn't get there - but I wish I had after seeing your pictures! Thank you for sharing and letting me live vicariously through you!
    Happy Travels :-)

    -Vicki
    www/maketimetoseetheworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki! It is quite out of the way of any interstates or road trip routes - hope you make it there someday!

      Delete
  6. Lake Powell is truly unique! Growing up in Arizona, that was one of our favorite boating destinations. You're right about it getting more crowded in the summer, but the place is SO big that you can always find someplace quiet. That solitude - and the stunning beauty - is why it's one of my favorite places. And for Tara, Havasu in April will be pleasant - not too cold and not blisteringly hot yet. :) #WeekendWanderlust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly stunning beauty and we were lucky to have plenty of solitude also. Wish I could visit here more often! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  7. I've never seen Lake Powell but your photos make me want to go. I'm sorry the weather wasn't what you wanted but it looks like you had a great time anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a great, albeit short, visit to Lake Powell! Thanks for stopping by Linda and I hope you get to Lake Powell someday!

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you were able to visit Lake Powell. I'd never heard of it but I love the contrast of the color of the water and the cliffs.
    Looking at your first photo a second time, I felt for a second like I was actually in the water!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jill, We have wanted to rent a houseboat on Lake Powell for years, but we've just never done it. I love those rocks! Would you have spent the night?

    And thanks for linking up with #wkendtravelinspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely would have spent the night! The closest lodging besides houseboating is in Page, Arizona and though it's not big there are a few chain - and non-chain - hotels. We were using Marriott points staying in St. George, Utah and if you use points for 4 nights you get one free night so we always do that deal. There was a Courtyard ( and it was stunning with awesome view!)we could have stayed at in Page and used that as our base instead of St. George but it was mostly booked when we wanted to stay there. So St. George it was! But Lake Powell certainly didn't disappoint and I"d love to spend more time in the area. Thanks for visiting and hosting the link up!

      Delete
  10. Beautiful scenery. I've never houseboated on Lake Powell, but I hope to someday. Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts