Christmas Light Extravaganza's in the South

 I think it's safe to say that folks of all ages enjoy seeing Christmas lights. Most cities have at least one popular large light display - and most people find out about neighborhood efforts through word of mouth. There are lights at Botanical Gardens and Zoo's and there is usually a Candy Cane Lane or Christmas Cul-de-Sac neighborhood that displays their own personal lights for all to enjoy. Here are three light extravaganza's that I've enjoyed over the last few years -

Gaylord Opryland Hotel in Nashville
The Opryland Hotel located off of I-40 just outside of Nashville is one of the largest hotels I've ever been to. It's so large that you receive a map when you check in - and still manage to get lost. They put on a humongous light display all through the atriums - yes, there is more than one - of the hotel and outside on the lawn. Crowds are fierce - even on weeknights - and there is a $20 fee to park but no admittance fee. If you would like to do more than look at lights, they usually have some sort of holiday show and also an interactive snow exhibit - think indoor sledding - which will cost you more and possibly include reservations. My youngest and I managed to work our way through the crowds on a quick stop home on our Colorado Christmas Road Trip. 

















Night of a Thousand Candles in Myrtle Beach
Night of a Thousand Candles is held at Brookgreen Gardens just south of Myrtle Beach in South Carolina. Held the three weekends before Christmas, lights are displayed at this sculpture and botanical garden and it draws a crowd. There is usually a back up of cars on US 17 Bypass waiting to get in. Once in, you park your car and walk the grounds enjoying the 1 million lights - some floating in the ponds and fountains and some hanging on the spanish moss so it looks like they are dripping. It's seriously impressive. There are snacks and drinks sold plus some indoor exhibits but the star of the show is definitely the outdoor lights. I could come back to this light extravaganza every year. It's one of my favorites.













Christmas Town USA in McAdenville, North Carolina
In 1956, the McAdenville Mens Club decorated a few trees in town for Christmas. With the support of the local mill owner, each year the display became larger. And now McAdenville is known as Christmas Town USA and has been named one of the Top 10 Places to Visit in December in the South along with a spot in the Top 50 Places to Visit at Christmas in the USA. The lights are turned on each night at 5:30 pm through the month of December and visitors line up for miles to drive through this free Christmas light extravaganza. More than 375 live trees are lit including 33 circling the town lake. The bell tower chimes Christmas carols as you drive through and almost every home is decorated. And if you choose, you may walk through to savor all the lights. It's quite the magical experience - and costs you only gas money.












How about you? Where is your favorite Christmas light display?


Linking up with: Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Travelers Sandbox and The Weekend Wanderlust Travel Blog Party!






Comments

  1. Those pictures look absolutely stunning! I've always dreamt of spending christmas time in the US - hope I'll be able to make my dream come true next year! If I can I'll definitely pay a visit to the south too. Christmas there looks and sounds awesome! #WeekendWanderlust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you make it to the US at Christmas - and can experience different regions and how they celebrate. Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  2. Myrtle Beach looks so lovely with the Spanish Moss and those lights. Even better is that it is warm there, I'm jealous !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty chilly the evening we were there - in the 30's - which made it more Christmas-y. And you could enjoy some hot cocoa, too. Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  3. I think the USA embraces Christmas lights more than Australia does - at least in the places I've been. It would be nice to see them in real life but your photos are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan!I think there's been an upsurge on public Christmas light displays - I know they certainly weren't around when I was young. I don't even remember driving around to see lights at houses when I was young - but I really enjoy them now!

      Delete
  4. I can see the appeal of these displays! They are elaborate, make up for great photos and they can be visited with the entire family. I remember visiting certain neighborhoods when I lived in Puerto Rico. I have not been to the gardens or zoos (but that will be nice). Hope you have a great time during this season! #TPThursday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth - and I hope you have a great holiday season as well! Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  5. We have family that live near Nashville. We may have to hit the Gaylord Nashville up in the future. It looks great. #WeekendWanderlust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd highly recommend it at least once - that is if you don't mind the parking fee :) Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts