Seoul: The War Memorial of Korea, Cruffins and Craft Beer

Seoul is the capitol of South Korea. It's a mix of modern and ancient with palaces and temples right up against skyscrapers and a modern subway system. And right now, as host of the Olympics, the world's eyes are on this capitol city. 

On my visit there last spring, I was able visit a dog cafe, take a day long tour visiting ancient homes, palaces, and temples, eat kimchi and donkkaseu, and drink soju. On one of our final days in Seoul, Mr. UR and I were on our own while our daughter was working. A few people had recommended we visit the War Memorial of Korea. I'm not much of a War Museum or Memorial type visitor. Military history just isn't my thing. What I really wanted to do was go up in the North Seoul Tower and see the awe inspiring views of the city. Unfortunately, the air pollution was so bad that there weren't any views. It was getting worse each day so we scrapped the tower idea and decided to heed the recommendations and head to the War Memorial. 

The War Memorial of Korea The War Memorial of Korea is part museum and part memorial. Entrance is free and there are lockers for your belongings along with a small cafe for refreshments. I have to admit that I knew nothing about the Korean War. And I have to admit that this was quite the museum.





Upon arrival you walk down the outdoor corridor with memorials to different troops including a state by state memorial to US soldiers. There are six separate indoor halls including a War History room and a large machinery exhibit. We concentrated on the Korean War Room which leads you through the North and South Korean conflict in chronological order. Next we made a quick stop to see The Turtle Ship - a ship used by the Royal Korean Navy during the Joseon dynasty -  in the War History room. Then it was time to rest our feet before taking in a few of the outdoor exhibits. One could seriously spend an entire day here learning and browsing.






Once again, I'm not much on military history but it is part of Korea's past - and now I understand a bit more about Korea and it's people by learning what they have been through. The museum is very tourist friendly with signs in Korean, English and Japanese and you can spend as much or as little time here as you would like.( And I'm told that the memorial service they hold each Friday is something to witness.)



Gangnam
Our daughter worked in the Gangnam neighborhood and we headed that way to meet her after work. Gangnam became famous when  K-pop singer, Psy, hit pop song gold with "Gangnam Style", a worldwide hit.  It's one of the most elite, upscale areas of Seoul with designer shopping, modern skyscrapers and clubs to dance in until dawn - and the plastic surgery capital of Korea. I was amazed to see at least 10 people walking the streets with bandages  covering their faces or necks.

Mr. Holmes Bakeshop
 Our first stop was the Seoul branch of the infamous Mr. Holmes Bakeshop. One of only two in the world - the first is in San Francisco - Mr. Holmes is known for one specific item - the cruffin. A cross between a croissant and a muffin (croissant texture and muffin appearance), we ordered one - we couldn't spoil our dinner, could we? - and a chocolate covered croissant.  The cruffin comes filled - we chose cookies and cream - and while it was good, I still preferred the chocolate covered croissant. But both were pretty delicious.







Pong Dang Beer Company
Seoul isn't exactly known for it's craft beer scene. But there are a few places to grab a cold one and Pong Dang in Gangnam is one. Their motto is "Never put off until tomorrow what you can drink today" We enjoyed a beer by the open window and did a little people watching.





Chicken and Beer
Koreans love their fried chicken - and they like it with beer. There are Chicken and Beer places all over the city - and we were about to experience it for our first time at Kkanbu Chicken. The chicken is fried and then different sauces are added along with some accompaniments. We had fried chicken - and spicy fried chicken, french fries and a nest - yes, a nest - of fried onions on top. With beer, of course. And I think they know what they're doing. It was one of my favorite meals in Seoul. 






A fun day - I learned so much at the museum, tried a cruffin and a craft beer and what's not to love about fried chicken?


How about you? Have you been to the War Memorial of Korea? Had chicken and beer in Seoul?


I'd love for you to follow me on:
Instagram/Facebook



Linking up with: WATW at Communal Global, The Weekly Postcard at Travel Notes and Beyond,  The Weekend Wanderlust Weekend Travel Blog Party and Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Travelers Sandbox!







Comments

  1. Ok, you officially had me intrigued with 'Cruffin' and I had to see what it was! It looks delicious but sounds funny! Would love to try one one day! Thanks for linking up with #TheWeeklyPostcard!
    (www.caliglobetrotter.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - the name doesn't sound like a delicious dessert but maybe more like a bird or cranky old man,right? But it was very good! Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  2. All these areas of Seoul look very nice. I am not a fan of military history but sometimes I have been surprised by how much I enjoy learning about the history of certain armed conflicts. I think Mr. Holmes is quickly expanding. We have two bakeries in LA (I think two at the moment). There was one in Orange Country but it was closed. #TPThursday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get a chance to hit Mr. Holmes in LA, give it a try - it's pretty good! Thanks for visiting, Ruth!

      Delete
  3. Seoul looks very nice. I am sure there is a lot of history to learn when visiting memorials like this. Chicken and beer sounds delicious, I'd love to visit Seoul someday. #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Seoul - the people are friendly, the food was great and there is such tradition mixed with present day. I hope you make it there someday! Thanks for visiting - and for the link-up!

      Delete
  4. It sounds like an amazing day. I'm with you - Military museums are not my thing. But on the rare occasion I do visit them I've found them interesting. I am sure I would love the chicken and beer combo too. I didn't know about the Gangnam/plastic surgery connection. Bizarre that the patients are out in the streets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was a pretty good day - and we were pretty proud of ourselves for negotiating Seoul on our own for the bulk of the afternoon. And yes, seeing people with bandages around their heads - like in cartoons when someone has a toothache! - was very strange indeed. I've never seen that before! Thanks for visiting, Jan!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts