STAY: McMenamin's Grand Lodge in Oregon

My friend Jo finds all the cool places to stay. When we went on our two week RV tour around Oregon, we had two nights that we wouldn't be staying in the RV. On our last night, before our flight out, she booked a night's stay for us at the unique McMenamin's Grand Lodge in Forest Grove, Oregon, about 25 minutes west of Portland. (We also visited McMenamin's Old St. Francis School in Bend - you can read about that here)
source
McMenamins, a family owned chain, recycles buildings, such as former schools and makes them into hotels, brewpubs, restaurants or music venues. The Grand Lodge started out as a Widows and Orphans home but after a few years, there was a bit of a divide between the widows and orphans. The orphans were phased out and it became an Eastern Star and Masonic Lodge. After it's purchase by McMenamin's, it was turned into the Grand Lodge - with 90 guestrooms, two restaurants, bars, a movie theater and my favorite, an outdoor soaking pool. While you're visiting, you can also explore nearby wine country - which we did - or you can visit Sake One, the leading brewer of craft sake in the US - which we didn't make it to.



source



As with all McMenamin properties, the Grand Lodge is decorated whimsically with unique artwork and ceilings full of different dome lights. Our room was on the 3rd floor - or the attic - and was absolutely huge. It easily fit two queen beds and 2 easy chairs. Painted in a dark navy blue, light came in through the dormer window. Our package was a bed and beer - it came with a craft beer flight along with the room. We enjoyed the beer at the Billy Scott Bar - named for one of the first students at the University of Oregon, who also happened to be a resident here - along with some dinner at the bar.







source

Legend has it that the Lavender Lady walks the halls. Some have felt her spirit - and some say the scent of lavender lingers after she's been there. I didn't see or smell anything - but one never knows!

After our beer flight and dinner, we donned the robes from our room and spent the evening relaxing in the soaking tub under the evergreens - which was a perfect ending to a fantastic trip!



How about you? Have you stayed, or eaten, at a McMenamin's? It was definitely one of the most different places I've ever stayed!

Rates at McMenamin's Grand Lodge start at $60 for 2 people on a winter weeknight with the Beer flight rate starting at $93


Linking up with: WATW at Communal Global,The Weekly Postcard at Travel Notes and Beyond and The Weekend Wanderlust Travel Blog Party!










Comments

  1. I have never stayed in the Lodge, but I love the little town that it belongs too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we would've had more time to explore the town - never enough time! Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  2. that tub looks amazing! Right up my ally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing! I spent the entire evening in it :) Thanks for visiting, Harmony!

      Delete
  3. Very smart people, these McMenamins! Turning those buildings into hotels most likely made them even richer than they were. It's been a while since I visited Portland, but I would like to see this Lodge if I return to that area. #THeWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely are very smart! A nice way to recycle what is already there - and bring something back to life! Thanks for visiting - and for the link-up, Anda!

      Delete
  4. I like what the McMenamins are doing. I think there is less resistance from the community to try or embrace a restaurant, hotel or shop if it is located on a place they know or have been part of the town already. Plus, I am sure those places are full of characters and stories. #WeekendWanderlust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Ruth, and I never thought of it that way. And this place is definitely full of character and stories. Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  5. I love the history and everything this lodge has to offer. It's always a joy to find unique lodging and this one definitely has a lot of character. Not sure about meeting the Lavender Lady but I'd be up for staying here. It looks very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure I wanted to meet The Lavender Lady either - but I guess she didn't want to meet me! Thanks for visiting, Mary!

      Delete
  6. How cool! I have had lunch at McMenamin's Kennedy School before, and another one that I can't remember that was just a traditional pub. #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a cool place - thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts