Arches National Park

I'm a huge fan of the National Park system here in the US. I've visited quite a few and every time I do - and I see these stunning lands through my car window or in some cases, a shuttle bus window or on foot - my thoughts go to gratefulness that someone, at some time, deemed these places worthy of keeping the way they are. For all to enjoy. Arches National Park really hit home in this way for me. Driving through it on a muggy July day and seeing it for the first time - wow. That's about all I could say. Just wow. What an incredible place.



But let's back up a moment and say that, like so many places I've visited, Arches was not quite what I expected. I had heard that it is one of the smaller national parks so what I expected was a small park with a few arches. Not so. It's a quite large dessert wilderness with arches, yes, but so much more. It has giant rocks and giant slabs of rock, large pinnacles and hoodoos. It's basically a red rock wonderland. And, of course, there's the arches - all 2000 of them. (For identification purposes, an arch is anywhere that a hole has formed in the sandstone rock) It is the world's largest collection of natural sandstone arches and it is quite the spectacle to see.






There were fires in the area on the day of our visit so the air was quite thick and the clouds and smoke were laying low. That made for some moody photos. It was also Independence Day weekend which means crowds. I was visiting my friend Karen, who lives in Moab, and she told us that we needed to arrive at the park by 7am - to avoid lines - and she would meet us after for lunch. But we decided to try a different tactic and meet her for lunch then enter the park around 3pm. That worked. No lines getting in and we were able to get parking spaces near a few of the short walks. This plan only worked because we decided to forgo the Delicate Arch hike - the most popular arch in the park where parking is limited - and do some of the other arches.






We drove through the park marveling at it's wonders - seeing Balanced Rock - and made our way to the Windows section. We chose to walk the Double Arch trail - a half-mile flat path which leads you to Double Arch, the tallest and 2nd longest arch in the park. It was a great short walk for us since we were only there for the afternoon but it got us out of the car. My son's fiance was the only one game to go to the top of the arch - I think the smoke in the air was bothering the rest of us.  Then we just had to go to the viewpoint overlooking - from afar -  Delicate Arch, the most famous arch in the park. More than likely, if you've seen photos of Arches, they include Delicate Arch.
This was taken with major zoom from the viewpoint. Those are people hiking to the arch.









As usual, it was a short visit but still a fun day. A visit with a friend in Moab and then a drive and walk through one of the most unique places I've been. If given the opportunity, I would definitely visit Arches again - though I feel that I we got a good overview on our visit, I know we barely scratched the surface. 



Arches - you're quite the national park!

Things to know before you go:
- Arches is located just north of the town of Moab in Utah.
- The visitor center - including rest rooms, park rangers, a bookstore and a park film - is located at the entrance to the national park.
-Things to see include: the La Sal Mountains Viewpoint, Balanced Rock, the Windows Section, Delicate Arch and the Devil's Garden.
-Arches is an extremely popular national park. Traffic congestion can be brutal during the high season from March to October. If you don't have much traffic patience, you may want to plan your visit during low season.
-Camping is available at Devil's Garden Campground, 18 miles from the park entrance. Lodging is available in Moab, which is 5 miles away.
- Hiking,cycling,camping, stargazing and ranger programs are available within the park.
- Please respect your national parks. There were two or three tweens who were tumbling rocks down Double Arch and by the time we could get to them to tell them to stop, their parents pulled up and called for them to leave. I don't know where their parents had been, but it wasn't supervising their kids.



How about you? Have you been to Arches National Park?


Linking up with: WATW at Communal Global, Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Travelers Sandbox, The Weekly Postcard at Travel Notes and Beyond and The Weekend Wanderlust Travel Blog Party!









Comments

  1. The arches are amazing! I have not been to this National Park but I would love to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty unique - and a cool place to visit! Thanks for stopping by, Sharon!

      Delete
  2. I don't remember Arches National Park being too crowded when we visited about six years ago. There were plenty of other people around but it wasn't an issue. Perhaps the crowds were less because it was mid summer. We did a ranger led tour in the morning called the 'Fiery Furnace Walk' - or something like that. It was fabulous. The temperature was 100 degree F but despite its name the walk was one of the cooler things to do. It went through lots of shaded areas. In the afternoon we wandered around exploring all the wonderful formations until I came down with heat exhaustion. Fortunately David and my son recognised the symptoms and got me back to an air-conditioned hotel room ASAP. I have Arches high on my list of places to go back to - maybe in slightly cooler weather next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad your family recognized the symptoms of heat exhaustion - scary stuff! I didn't feel that the park felt overrun when we were there but we had friends who were there in May and had to go back twice to get a parking spot for the Delicate Arch hike. Plus my friend who lives there knows the ins and outs and said it gets very crowded. I guess crowds are the price for being such a cool spot. Thanks for visiting, Lyn!

      Delete
  3. You have a lot of those pinnacles/arches NP. Have not done any yet, but looking forward to that someday, because I will ;) #weeklypostcard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Utah is definitely one unique state with lots of pinnacles, hoodoos and arches. Hope you enjoy them when you make it there! Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  4. I have not yet been to the main national parks in Utah (Mighty Five). All the photos I have seen of the Arches (like yours) have me wondering how I could have missed them when I lived in the States. I particularly like your Double Arch photos. It's good to know that you can see Delicate Arch without having to do the long hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rhonda! The Mighty Five really are something to see - I hope you make it to them someday! Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  5. I loved seeing the tiny figures of people beneath the huge arches. They really show the monumental size. I love the ominous dark clouds as a back drop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the photos with the tiny figures beneath the huge arches, too! And the ominous clouds, also. Made for quite the moody photos. Thanks for stopping by, Jan!

      Delete
  6. We explored Arches a few times over the years, we spent multiple days there, and still feel like there is more to see and do. You have a choice of so many different trails, you can find something for everyone. The hike to Delicate Arch is easier than it seems, we did it when our kid were young (by the time they were seven they could do it). Years ago we had less crowds in the park, I don't ever remember it being overrun. Then again, we've never been there on a holiday weekend. Your photos are beautiful, make me want to revisit the place. Thanks for sharing on #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And it's good to know that the hike to Delicate Arch isn't as difficult as it seems. I'm going to go back and spent several days in future and I'd love to do that hike. Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  7. It's always nice when something exceeds our expectations! Arches NP definitely sounds like an amazing place for expectations to be exceeded! Would love to see it myself one day! Thanks for linking up with #TheWeeklyPostcard!
    (www.caliglobetrotter.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you make it there someday - it's an incredible place, especially if you like red rock. Thanks for stopping by, Lori!

      Delete
  8. As you, I am a big fan of National Park. The problem is that I cannot visit them as often as I like. I hope to visit a new National Park this year! I really want to road trip thru Southern Utah and see all the National Parks there. I went to Zion many years ago but the visit has faded form my memory already. I agree with you when you talk about respect and conservation. I have seen way too many people doing things they are not supposed to do in the park. #WeekendWanderlust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think for the most part that most people respect their parks - there just always has to be those few who don't to ruin it for everyone else. And like you, I'd like to visit the parks more often and also some of the lesser known ones. I'll just keep plugging away to try to visit as many as I can! As always, thanks for visiting, Ruth!

      Delete
  9. it's amazing how the forces of nature work. I love visiting our Naitonal Parks in Australia too. Happy travels. I am joining you today, a little late, at Travel Photo Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to visit some of your Australian National Parks on my first visit there this winter for me/summer for you. And happy travels to you, too. Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road - and I like your name, Jill!

      Delete
  10. We're going to Utah in June. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great time - enjoy! Thanks for visiting, Sharon!

      Delete
  11. Completely agree. Buying the NPS Annual Pass was the smartest decision we made on our road trip and Arches was breathtaking. I can't understand how anyone could see these places and want to remove their protected status.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Yvette! It seems we're on the same page - and I agree that the NPS Annual Pass is one of the best deals going.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for all of that great information. We really need to visit more National Parks. I love landscapes like Arches with all of the shades of reds in the rocks. Will have to get there one day. #WeekendWanderlust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the red rocks, also. I hope you make it to Arches one day! Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts