California Road Trip: Point Reyes National Seashore

When our three kids were in elementary school - so many years ago - we did a northern California road trip. One of the places we visited for a day was Point Reyes National Seashore. I remembered it as one of my  most favorite places I've ever been. It was windswept - oh, so windy! - and beautiful. We took a walk to one of the cliffs that had a bench overlooking the ocean and sat for awhile, walked on the beach, visited the lighthouse and sat stopped on the road in our car for a traffic jam - of cows. Lots of cows. So on our return road trip I wanted to return to Point Reyes. But I wasn't quite sure that I really did. Going back to someplace you've truly enjoyed doesn't always work out.Sometimes expectations aren't met - and sometimes they are. It's a gamble. In the end, I decided to include it in our itinerary. And so, on the last day of our California Road Trip, we made the drive from Sonoma to Point Reyes.

Point Reyes National Seashore is a protected coastline in Northern California located about 30 miles north of San Francisco on Highway 1. It includes some 70,000 acres with a visitor center, lighthouse, beaches, farms (who have been grandfathered in), and a famous Cypress Tree tunnel. The original inhabitants were the Coast Miwok Indians, Sir Francis Drake supposedly landed here in 1579 and a wireless telegraph station was put here in 1914 by Marconi. It's quite a place to visit and if you haven't been, I highly suggest it. 

We started our visit, per usual, at the best place to start, The Bear Valley Visitor Center. There are exhibits on marine life within the park, a gift shop, restrooms and on weekends, ranger led programs. There are picnic tables outside and we enjoyed a picnic lunch along with quite a few other people. Also, located off the parking lot here is the Earthquake Trail which is a short paved loop along the San Andreas Fault - this is where the Pacific Plate and the North American Plate separate and in 1906, Point Reyes actually moved 20 feet northwest.
Electric car charging station

He's not real - it's an exhibit in the Visitor Center
I had forgotten how incredibly huge Point Reyes is.( If you go, you definitely need a car.) So now we started our driving to get to the lighthouse and the beaches. Beautiful scenery - farms with lots of cows - and coastline views. We had a little trouble finding a parking spot - it was a weekend after all - but found one and started the incredibly windy walk to the Lighthouse and Lighthouse Visitor Center, which is smaller than the Bear Valley one. You walk on a paved path passing some bent-over-windswept-trees and the housing for the park rangers. We also spotted some park residents - deer on the cliffs munching their lunch. 
















The Rangers quarters
The Point Reyes Lighthouse was built in 1870 to help ships traveling between San Francisco Bay and points north. It was retired from service in 1975 when  the National Park Service took over it's care. There are fantastic views from the lighthouse - including whales, though I've never seen one there on either of my visits. Be prepared for high winds, the closest gas station is 20 miles away and there isn't any food once you pass Inverness, 35 miles away.  And if you want to go down to the lighthouse and climb back up - it's not for the physically challenged - there are 308 steps. But there are restrooms, a small museum and gift shop and those "I can see forever from here" views. Most would say it was worth it.
The museum


Whale bones

















A little salt spray on my lens

Next we headed around the bend to Drakes Bay, the supposed site of Sir Francis Drake's landing and the spot where a Spanish galleon sunk in 1595. There we saw more deer and some elephant seals - from afar -sunning themselves on the beach.












Now it was time for a beach walk. Point Reyes has some of the prettiest beaches around. If you're a beach lover, you just can't beat the simply stunning scenery - and both times I've been here - the sound and spray of the crashing waves. I could sit there and listen and watch all day!



But we had some friends in the city to visit. First though, a snack at the cool little place that is Saltwater Oyster Depot. Located in Inverness, on the beautiful Tomales Bay, Saltwater is "a straight-up sustainable oyster bar & restaurant with locally harvested mollusks & regional wines." I loved this place. It's a bit pricey - face it,  you are in Marin County on Tomales Bay - but it fits it's environment so perfectly. We enjoyed a drink at the bar. Then, sadly, our trip was almost over. We visited friends for dinner at their place in the city and it was time for our red-eye home. 





Was I content with my return visit? Was it still as magical?Definitely. Yes. It was a bit different type of visit - there were no kids with us, we visited a few places we hadn't before and didn't visit a few we had, saw more wildlife than our first visit and was able to see a little more of the surrounding area. I still think Point Reyes is one of my most favorite places I've been. Though I still haven't made it to the Cypress Tree tunnel. Darn! Guess I'll just have to go back.


How about you? Have you been to Point Reyes? Or have you ever returned somewhere you really loved? How did it turn out?


I'd love for you to follow me on:



Linking up with : WATW at Communal Global, The Weekend Wanderlust Travel Blog Party and The Weekly Postcard at Travel Notes and Beyond!






Comments

  1. The wildlife would be my favorite part! I love the windswept shoreline and the lighthouse, too. I would love to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful place- especially if you like windswept places! Thanks for visiting, Sharon!

      Delete
  2. WOW! Beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love California! Rightfully so because I was born there. The scenery isn't just stunning, your photos are too. Next time I visit CA, I would love to go here. #WeekendWanderlust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  4. I love Point Reyes too - my husband and I actually got engaged on a beach there close to an elephant seal who was resting on the sands ;-) During certain times of the year you can only reach the lighthouse by getting on a shuttle (you can't drive yourself) so I have never actually driven all the way there yet! Hope to return some day soon and see it again ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - what a great place to get engaged! Lucky you two! Thanks so much for visiting The Unpaved Road - and hope you make it back to Point Reyes soon!

      Delete
  5. We’ve taken many trips to Northern CA but have never made it to Point Reyes. I loved this virtual tour! It looks like we’re missing out on a lot. We’ll have to it a point next time. I’d love to see the wildlife and that iconic lighthouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you make it to this beautiful place someday - thanks for visiting, Mary!

      Delete
  6. I am with you. Sometimes it is not the same feeling when you return to a place. In a way, I prefer when I like a place better the second time. But, there are places that are wonderful no matter how many times you visit. Point Reyes is so beautiful! It is a place I have to visit. Reminds me that I still have to see quite a bit of California. #WeekendWanderlust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you make it there someday,Ruth - it's so beautiful! Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  7. Ah, California coast is such a delightful place to visit! I love these road trips along the Pacific Coast Highway and Point Reyes is one of my favorite stop overs. Great pictures! #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for the link-up and for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  8. Your post brought back memories! We drove out to Point Reyes years ago, and I remember it being the highlights of the trip. Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing on #TheWeeklyPostcard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was definitely one of the highlights of my trip. And thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts