An Independence Day at Colorado's Independence Pass

While on our float trip in Grand Junction, Colorado last year, our guide mentioned that Aspen threw a heckuva Independence Day Celebration. There would be a military jet flyover and a parade - and since we hadn't been to Aspen before, we thought we'd give it a go. 

We got up bright and early and began our hour and a half drive through the mountains of Colorado. We were pretty excited to see the military flyover, but not for long as we ran into a traffic jam about 20 miles away from Aspen. So this is how it was gonna be, huh? We turned around and found a very large parking lot with free parking and a free shuttle - with a very long line waiting to ride it. We finally made it on the shuttle and knew we would barely make it to the town for the start of the parade. By the time we made it to Aspen, there was a small bi-plane flowing over the town and the parade route. So this was the military fly0ver? How disappointing! We found a spot to stand for the parade - in the shade no less - and enjoyed a bit of it. Lots of fire trucks, red,white & blue and marching groups. Since we were about the 4th row back from the street and the parade looked to be ending, we decided we better find something to eat before all the crowds let loose. We stopped into the first restaurant we found and picked outside as our choice on where to sit. The hostess led us to a table that was already taken - and proceeded to tell the patrons at the table to move and make room for us. Nothing doing. So we moved inside and managed to place an order as things were really crowding up.




I had no idea that Aspen's Fourth of July Celebration was such a huge deal. Not being from that part of the country, I was clueless. It was a tad crowded for my liking - and I'm afraid I didn't get a good impression of Aspen this time around. I'd like to go back on a regular ole Tuesday or Wednesday and see what it's like then. But I decided that their Independence Day Celebration wasn't for me - nice as it was.









But the day started looking up as we headed back to Denver on Colorado State Highway 82 which passes over the Continental Divide between Aspen and Leadville. This high mountain pass - at 12,095 feet - in the Rockies is 20 miles long and is one of the highest in North America. To call it scenic is an understatement. Closed between October and May, cars line up for miles on opening day to experience the wonder of the Pass.





We stopped at the scenic overlook which offers views of Mt. Elbert, Colorado's highest peak and the second highest peak in the continental US. What I found the most amazing was spotting two back country skiers - that's right, skiers in JULY - skiing by the overlook. Where I live it can reach temps in the high 90's and 100's in July so the thought of skiing over July 4th weekend is just too much for me to wrap my mind around. 












There are two vertical dots in the lower right of the zoomed in photo above - those are the skiers!

It was a majestic and scenic drive - mountain peaks, aspen trees and curvy roads through the pass to Twin Lakes which is popular for boating, hiking and camping. In fact, it one of my son's and his fiance's favorite places to camp in Colorado. Sitting at the base of Mt. Elbert, Twin Lakes may just be some of the most beautiful scenery in the state.












So if you're looking to go to Aspen's Fourth of July shindig, I'd suggest to go early and be prepared for crowds. And I'd highly recommend a drive through Independence Pass. It's some of the most gorgeous mountain scenery - and that's something to be said for a state with an abundance of gorgeous mountain scenery!


How about you? Have you been to Aspen? What did you think? And have you celebrated the July 4th holiday there? Any tips for next time?


Linking up with: WATW at Communal Global, The Weekly Postcard and The Weekend Wanderlust Weekend Travel Blog Party!








Comments

  1. Such spectacular scenery -- and the sky is intriguing in every photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a beautiful part of the country! Thanks for visiting, Sharon!

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos of a part of the country I have not been to. I also liked seeing horses as part of the holiday parade. #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the horses, too - particularly for this part of the country. Thanks, Deborah - and thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  3. Well, at least you enjoyed part of your day. There are a lot of Independence Day celebrations here in Los Angeles but I prefer to stay local. The beach towns have plenty activities and decent fireworks. I am not into traffic jams, full parking lots and crowded spaces. What are your plans for this year? #WeekendWanderlust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live on a lake and watch the fireworks over the water by boat. But we will be traveling to Colorado again this month. Thanks for visiting, Ruth!

      Delete
  4. I've never been in Aspen in summer. It looks absolutely spectacular! We sometimes go skiing there, and it's not even by far as beautiful and welcoming as in your pictures. I guess Independence Day is celebrated all over the USA with parades like this. At least in Los Angeles area there are plenty of them. #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite impressed with Aspen's parade - it was one of the better ones that I've been to. And I found Aspen to be so pretty - I'd like to go in the winter sometime. Thanks for visiting - and for the link-up - Anda!

      Delete
  5. The scenery looks amazing! Colorado’s alpine scenery and peaks have always been jaw dropping. We’ve always gone during winter so this inspires me to do a summer visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think jaw dropping is a great way to describe Colorado's scenery! And thanks for visiting, Mary!

      Delete
  6. Wow! Love those views. Your pictures are fantastic. I think I'd enjoy driving through the pass. I'm in Philadelphia and admit I try to get myself far away from the Independence Day festivities because it's usually a madhouse. #WeekendWanderlust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I spent one Independence Day in Philadelphia - and I thoroughly enjoyed it but it was a madhouse. :) Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  7. Love those small town 4th of July parades! I miss that about living in Montana! This reminds me very much of the ones I experienced! Thanks for linking up with #TheWeeklyPostcard!
    (www.caliglobetrotter.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link-up - and for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed the scenic views. Thanks for much. We have nothing like this in the little corner of the world where we live. Happy travels and thank you for visiting my blog this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - and thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts