Wine Tasting in Temecula, California

Some 60 miles north of San Diego - and 90 miles south of LA - lies Temecula, California and it's little known wine country - well, little-known-outside-of-California wine country, that is. I, quite honestly ,had never heard of it until my niece moved to San Diego several years ago. On my most recent visit to see her, we headed north to do a little wine tasting, take in some views and celebrate my mom's upcoming 90th birthday. 

Temecula has over 40 wineries and this year celebrates 50 years of wine production there. And it's still growing! Most of the wineries are open daily to the public, with no reservations needed. There is a self-guided tour for those who want to visit wineries on their own - or you can hire someone to do all the work for you. (Check out The Winery Hopper for bus tours) If you're not into vino, you can also take an early morning hot air balloon ride, ride horses through the vineyards or hang out at a few of the spas there. And there's Old Town Temecula with it's wooden boardwalks, western town buildings and antique shops, too.  So this up and coming wine region has lots to do! 

Miramonte Winery
Our first stop was at Miramonte Winery. The tasting room - and bistro - are open daily. This winery and estate vineyard are located at an elevation of 1400 feet and concentrate on growing the grapes of France, Spain and Portugal. Miramonte is an indoor/outdoor garden winery with beautiful views of the Temecula Valley - and we waited for just a moment, though it was quite crowded, to snatch up a table outside on a perfectly sunny afternoon. 

Each of us ordered a glass of wine instead of doing a tasting (Tasting fees are $17 during the week and $20 on the weekends) We also decided to get a snack to enjoy on the patio and went with the incredibly delicious Fromage & Tomato plate from the bistro - "blistered cherry tomatoes, EVOO, balsamic drizzle, capers, & herbs de Provence. Served with 3 artisan cheeses & crispy bread." I'm only sad we didn't have time for dessert. Though there was a super smart Girl Scout selling cookies on the patio and doing quite the brisk business. 

My mom especially loved the ambiance of this winery. I think she could have stayed much longer than we did. But if we stayed all afternoon we couldn't visit any more vineyards. So off we went.
Not a bad way to celebrate your 90th birthday, eh?

Callaway Vineyard & Winery
One of the things I like best about visiting wineries - besides the wine, of course - is checking out all the different types of wineries and their ambiance, views and architecture. Callaway had a totally different vibe than Miramonte. It had much more of a modern feel - modern and airy. 

Like Miramonte, the views are to die for. But the comparison stops there. Callaway has a modern tasting room that features those views- club members only on weekends - and a large outdoor space for sipping your wine. Meritage, the restaurant at Callaway, features live music every Friday evening, Sunday brunch and Prix Fixe menu on Friday and Sunday nights.

 The Winery is open daily and they feature reds, whites, sweet and rose wines. For $10 you can take a walking tour of the estate and if you add another $15 you can do a 4 wine tasting along with 2 samples from a barrel and tank. Their tasting bar, also open daily, offers 6 one ounce tastes in the Main Tasting Room without a tour. 

Unfortunately, it was time to leave so we could have a sunset picnic at the beach. But I hope to be back to Temecula soon. I was surprised with Temecula's wineries - the views, the wine and the atmosphere - were impressive. 


How about you? Have you been?

I'd love for you to follow me on:
Facebook/Instagram/Pinterest 


Linking up with: WATW at Communal Global, The Weekly Postcard at Travel Notes and Beyond and The Weekend Wanderlust Weekend Travel Blog Party!






Comments

  1. Lovely and wordless capture . Please tell something about my captures on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  2. I hadn't heard of Temecula until I was planning a road trip in California a couple years ago. I ended up spending a day wine tasting at a few vineyards in that area, and I was pleasantly surprised by the high quality wines. California has several well-known wine regions so it seems Temecula sometimes gets overshadowed, but the wines I tasted reminded me of my favorite Tuscan wines. I'd definitely go wine tasting in Temecula again. Lucky you that you live so close! #WeekendWanderlust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that Temecula certainly gets overshadowed - I had never heard of it until my niece moved close by. Definitely worth a visit! Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road, Erin!

      Delete
  3. Spectacular vistas! Sounds like a great 90th birthday party for your mom. I've never been to California wine country, but when I come, you've sold me on Temecula!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice low key area with good wine and definitely worth a visit. Thanks for stopping by, Cynthia!

      Delete
  4. Oh I love the Temecula wineries!! My favorite is the South Coast Winery! They have fabulous wines and the winery is very beautiful!! Thanks for linking up with #TheWeeklyPostcard!
    (www.caliglobetrotter.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try South Coast next time - and I'm hoping there will be a next time soon! Thanks for the link-up = and for visiting!

      Delete
  5. I have not explored this area as much as I wanted! Good friends moved nearby so, it may be a good opportunity to visit more often. I went to the area in June (for my birthday) but was a bit shocked by the prices and the crowds. The other thing is that some places require a reservation. I need to visit during the week to see if the vibe is different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice low key wine area and I really enjoyed it. We didn't run into any reservations problems but my niece is a wine club member at a couple of the wineries so that may have helped. Thanks for visiting, Ruth!

      Delete
  6. I´ve never heard of Temecula, but I absolutely love this kind of lanscapes! And with more than 40 wineries in the area you have a lot of options to plan a great wine tasting experience! #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty area for sure, Anna! Thanks for stopping by The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  7. We were so surprised by how fantastic the wine region in Temecula was. We did the jeep tour and it was so much, and the wines were great. We brought a bunch home. The little town was cute too. We enjoyed the soda shop that was there and eating at a tapas restaurants. The meal that you had at the first winery looks divine and I don't think we went there. I think I'll have to go back. #WeekendWanderlust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to do a jeep tour - any tour of a wine country is fine with me! I'd like to go back, too. Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  8. I have been to the Temecula area, but unfortunately NOT for the wine tasting. This is just up my alley, especially with the tasty snacks and the views. Belated happy 90th to your mom - I can only hope to be doing this on/near my 90th! Joining you for the first time from WATW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only hope to be doing this on my 90th also - I'm hoping for the good genes to be handed down! I hope you make it to Temecula for a wine tasting someday. Thanks for visiting, Angie!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts