An Autumn Wander in the North Georgia Mountains

When you think of the state of Georgia, its' cities such as Atlanta and Savannah might come to mind. Or you might think of Martin Luther King Jr or the coastal islands such as Jekyll. But the Blue Ridge Mountains probably didn't pop into your head right away. Yet, in the far northeastern corner of Georgia is a scenic area of mountains, wineries, state parks, shopping and history only a short drive from Atlanta. I recently spent a few days enjoying some fall weather - though we were too early for leaf peeping - in the North Georgia mountains. Come along as I visit  the Blue Ridge area of Georgia.

Helen, Georgia
We started our trip in the Bavarian look-alike town of Helen. Known for the longest Oktoberfest in the States, Helen was a struggling mill town that made the decision to style all it's buildings as if it was in Germany. It's a small town with shopping and of course, German food. But the main attractions here in the fall is the Oktoberfest Celebration. All the hotels I tried to book were sold out - lesson learned: book in advance - so we didn't attend Oktoberfest since we would be driving 30 miles to our lodging through the mountains after dark. But I'd like to make it there someday!


We did a bit of shopping, had a little fudge and then headed out to Habersham Winery just outside of town. The tasting bar was packed so we each got a glass of wine and enjoyed the patio. Most of the wines here are sweeter and made with muscadine grapes that grow well in the Southern climate.
No wine connoisseur here - I'm a slushie kind of girl


We ate at Paul's Steak House which I had enjoyed on a previous visit so I knew I was in for some good food. It was also very busy - every table was spoken for with a short line to get in and it was early in the evening - so I guess the word is out that Paul's is the place to go in Helen. Good food and good service made for an enjoyable meal.

Dahlonega
Most people don't know that the first Gold Rush in the United States didn't take place in California. It took place in the small town of Dahlonega in Northern Georgia some twenty years before California's. Dahlonega - pronounced Dah-LON -a-ga - honors that history with a Gold Rush Museum in the town square along with some cute little shops, a few antique malls and a few tasting rooms. Dahlonega is also home to the University of North Georgia which has been designated as The Military College of Georgia. And did I mention that there are some 40 wineries in Northern Georgia? Many are located in the Dahlonega area. 
That gold isn't gold paint, it's real gold from the Gold Rush here in the Georgia mountains


We did a bit of shopping and then had lunch at The Picnic Cafe and Desserty. The cafe offers home made quiche, soups and desserts and we were all quite happy with our meal.


 We had stopped at the Visitor Center and the volunteer there suggested that we had to visit Monteluce Winery while we were in the area. So that's where we headed next. And I swear you would think you were in Tuscany and not Georgia. Monteluce is an incredibly elegant winery in a stunning setting. I would highly recommend visiting this winery and it's restaurant for some delicious wine and handmade pasta on the patio overlooking the vineyard. Our Visitor Center helper did not lead us astray!

Next up was Amicalola Falls State Park and the view from it's lodge. Amicalola Falls is Georgia's highest waterfall. It's a one mile strenous hike to the falls overlook and then another 7.5 miles to Springer Mountain which is the end point of the Appalachian Trail. We - being my sister and my 90 year old mom and I - didn't attempt any of this. But I knew that we could at least take in the views of the mountains from the State Park Lodge. The lodge is a popular - and beautiful - place to stay or eat at the dining room with floor to ceiling windows or take on the challenge of the zipline and ropes course. It's definitely worth the $5 per car entrance fee.


Blue Ridge
There are the Blue Ridge Mountains, there's Blue Ridge Lake and there's the actual town of Blue Ridge which is where we went next. Known for the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway, Blue Ridge is a cute - and popular - town quite close to the Tennessee border. It's main street is one long cute shop extravaganza and we enjoyed wandering it on a beautiful afternoon.


 Our first intention was to take the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway out of town - it takes you one hour to the Georgia-Tennessee border where you have two hours to wander in McCaysville, Georgia and Copperhill, Tennessee and then return - but since the foliage was still quite green we opted out this time. Hopefully there will be a return visit someday. So for now we shopped and ate - hmm....seems to be a recurring theme - enjoying lunch at the recommended Cantaberry for some delicious soups and sandwiches. 


Our afternoon excursion was to the humongous Mercier Orchards. In business since 1943 and now run by the fourth generation of the Mercier family, the orchard is like no other that I've been to. There is a cafe, bakery, apple tasting bar, Christmas room, and hard cider tasting bar, which I enjoyed. It was $10 to taste 5 ciders or wines - your choice - and I chose 2 ciders and 3 wines.Or you could taste one complimentary cider. The best part was when our host explained that identification was required - he was serious - and my mom had to show her ID. She thought he was just teasing her. But he wasn't. She has loved telling everyone she was carded at the bar. 


We also had to try Mercier's famous - on the Food Network, no less - apple fried pies. Homemade dough is folded over sweet apples and then dropped in oil and fried. And of course, you can't forget the swipe of sweet glaze over the top. To die for. Really.
Source

And then all too soon our visit to the mountains was over. If this an area that you haven't explored, I highly recommend it. There are so many nooks and crannies to be explored that I'm already planning my trip back. 



How about you? Have you been to the North Georgia Mountains?


Linking up with: Wednesday Around the World at Communal Global, The Weekly Postcard at Travel Notes and Beyond, The Weekend Wanderlust Weekend Travel Blog Party and Sharon's Souvenirs!









Comments

  1. I didn't know that the end point of the Appalachian Trail was in North Georgia! You learn something new every day. I'd love to visit, just to say I'd seen a part of the trail at least. Somehow I don't think I'm a good enough hiker to actually hike any more than a day on it! #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not either ha ha! The closest I've come to the Appalachian Trail was seeing some college students swimming in Maine after completing it. It'd be cool to do a part of it though, wouldn't it? Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  2. WOW! It *does* look like Bavaria!! I had no idea that there was German influence in Georgia (and so close to Appalacia, too)!! The countryside photos look so peaceful and calm. I wouldn't mind watching a few of those sunsets right now, though I expect it would be cold! #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty cold there now but we experienced fantastic weather towards the end of October. It's a cool little corner of the world that few know about. Thanks for visiting, Sara!

      Delete
  3. What super cute towns. Enjoying wine and cider while looking at fabulous views is my kind of place. #WeekendWanderlust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely my kind of place, also! Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  4. My goodness, this post is awesome! I lived in Toccoa for about 20 years and loved going to Helen but that was a long, long time ago. What a fabulous part of the world. Thanks for all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! And lucky you, living in Toccoa and being so close all those years. I agree - it is a fabulous part of the world. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. That slushie looks good! beautiful scenery! #WeekendWanderlust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious! I went with peach and I wish I had more time to try the berry version, too. Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  6. This sounds like a very nice road trip. I, too, would have liked to stay in Helen for an Oktoberfest. Mercier Orchards sounds wonderful, especially with their variety of ciders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like a found a little hidden gem, even though I know so many people know about it, and I love when that happens. Thanks for stopping by, Rhonda!

      Delete
  7. Wonderful post, enjoyed reading it. Loved the Bavarian influenced Helen. #theweekypostcard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  8. I loved my time in Savannah and environs. That area looks nice too. Someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many somedays :) Thanks for visiting, Sharon!

      Delete
  9. Wonderful photos! I've been to this area once and it was in October, so the changing leaves were at their peak. We got to hike and enjoy the views. My brother lived near Atlanta at the time. He's moved, but I would still love to return, especially in autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that it's quite the sight to see at peak foliage. Maybe I can make it back next year! Thanks for stopping by, Sharon!

      Delete
  10. Right in my backyard. Dahlonga is my favorite of these 4!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite the cute town, isn't it? And lucky you for it being right in your backyard! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts