My Favorite Moments of Road Tripping Ireland

I've wanted to go to Ireland for a long time. I can't really remember when it first became a top choice on my travel wish list. It seems it's always been there, though, with it's greenness, castles, sheep and smiling eyes waiting. I recently had the opportunity to visit for my first time and road trip from Dublin to the south of Ireland, along the west coast and back to Dublin. I, admittedly, didn't do any of the driving - thanks to Mr. UR for all of that - in this introductory road trip to the Emerald Isle.


And here are some of the highlights and favorite parts of my road trip to Ireland - of course, I'll be writing much more over the coming months. 

Seeing a sheepdog herding sheep along the road in Connemara -
We were heading back from Kylemore Abbey when we stopped to take some photos of the glorious landscape of Connemara. A sheep farmer was setting his sheepdog to round up the sheep who were panicking and running all along the road. I wish you could have been there to hear those sheep - they were bleating and yelling for all to hear. "The dog! The dog is coming!" is what they seemed to be saying. Quite the quintessential Irish moment.


Driving The Vee in peak rhodedendron season
Part of the joy of traveling is meeting the people of the country you're visiting. On our first night in Ireland we chanced upon a pub to have a guiness - as one does - and the bartender gave us a whole day's worth of things to do that we hadn't even heard about. So we changed our schedule for the next day and went on to drive, as our new friend suggested,  The Vee.  The Vee, located outside of Lismore, is a pass famous for it's panoramic views. Called one of the best views in the British Isles, the Vee happened to be in peak bloom - rhodedendron heaven. In fact, when we first saw some of them we pulled over to take photos not knowing what incredible views lay just around the corner! I highly recommend a drive on the Vee in early June if you're there.


Driving the Dingle Peninsula
The Dingle Peninsula, in the southwestern part of Ireland, is a very isolated and hauntingly beautiful area of the country. Usually falling second to that other famous drive, the Ring of Kerry, the Dingle Peninsula is windswept, rocky and stark. And I just loved it. We followed Rick Steve's guidebook when driving the peninsula and went step-by-step with his tips. It took several hours and then we stopped in Dingle town for some dinner and a walk around. If you'd like a feel for a traditional, and isolated, part of Ireland, take a drive around the Dingle Peninsula. 


Visiting the Rock of Cashel
Here in the US, if something is 300 years old it seems ancient. So actually seeing something that was built in the 13th century is just amazing. The Rock of Cashel is known as the site of the beginning of Christianity in Ireland. According to legend, St. Patrick baptized King Aengus here at St. Patrick's rock - which you can see in the museum - after AD 432. I find that to be mind boggling that something that old still exists and I can visit it. A really interesting spot and we had a gorgeous, sunny morning to visit.


Cycling the Aran Islands
We bought a ticket to visit the Aran Island of Inis Oirr by ferry with a return trip by the Cliffs of Moher. Inis Oirr is the smallest of the Aran Islands so we though that bicycling the island would be a good way to see it. (You can also ride a traditional horse and buggy or on a guided tractor and buggy ride) After lunch at an outdoor patio, we rented the bikes and headed out. The Aran Islands are known to be some of the most traditionally Irish areas of the country and still cling to the old ways. So many rock walls... and well, just so many rocks. The weather was fantastic and I so enjoyed seeing the island. Unfortunately, I had a bit of a mishap - which is later to come - but it still was one of my favorite places we visited in Ireland.


Driving the Ring of Kerry and Stopping at Ireland's Only Beach Bar
The Ring of Kerry receives lots of accolades as being some of the most stunning scenery in Ireland. And that is well deserved. It's a must do. It's some of the most beautiful landscape that I've ever seen. We spent an entire day driving it and it was more picturesque around each bend. What I didn't expect was to happen upon Ireland's only beach bar. Of course, one has to stop. O' Carrolls Cove is a family owned beach bar and restaurant on the Ring of Kerry (and Wild Atlantic Way) There is an actual white sandy beach here and some gorgeous turquoise water. It's seriously reminiscent of the Caribbean - well, except for the temps of the air and water. Look at that water, though.


How about you? Have you been to Ireland? If so, what was your favorite part?


Linking up with: My Corner of the World at Photographing New Zealand!







Comments

  1. Wow, these are some stunning scenes and I bet they were even better in person! Thanks for sharing these photos and bits of info with us. Maybe I'll get there myself some day. :)

    Your link at 'My Corner of the World' this week sure made my day!


    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty - and thanks for the link-up! I appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts