Three Unique Boat Rides to Take in the US

I grew up in the suburbs, and with the exception of a pontoon boat ride at family reunions every year, I didn't have the opportunity to ride on boats very much. I've remedied that in my adult years and like to go on a boat as much as possible. In fact, we own our own pontoon boat and go boating every summer weekend that we can. Over the Labor Day Weekend, we enjoyed boating in a new area and I was reflecting on some of the unique places I've been boating. So here are three unique boats or places to boat in the US that you can go get out on the water.


1. Whale watching on a RIB boat in San Diego
San Diego is one of the best places to see whales in the United States. I did some research and found Adventure Rib Rides. A rib is a rigid inflatable boat that seats 6 along with the captain and I think it was one of the coolest way to see whales. Our captain had been taking people out to see whales for many years so he knew where to go. We saw one mama and baby whale together - of course, keeping our mandatory distance of 100 yards - and then we saw a pod of about 50 dolphins - which seemed like thousands - jumping the waves. All around us.


 That was definitely one of the coolest things I've ever experienced. Crazy amazing.

If you want to see whales and dolphins with a unique experience, then you might want to forego the usual large boats and try a rib ride. I think you'll be glad you did.


2. Seeing the wilderness of Lake Fontana in North Carolina by boat 
Lake Fontana is the largest lake in western North Carolina and has the tallest dam east of the Rockies measuring in at 480 feet.  It was built by the TVA for power usage in 1942. Surrounded by the Nantahala Forest and Great Smoky Mountains National Park, most of the lake is wilderness. 



We rented a pontoon boat at Alarka Boat Dock on Alarka Creek- which feeds into Lake Fontana - they supplied a map, good directions and the pontoon and we were off. One of the more unique things about Lake Fontana is it's floating cabins. Small dwellings that are moored to land but reached by boat, these floating cabins are tiny houses on the water.



If you really want to get away from it all and enjoy some wilderness with a little water thrown in,  I suggest a visit to Lake Fontana.


3. Camping and wind surfing on Lake McConaughy
A lake with turquoise water, windsurfing and sand beaches in the middle of Nebraska seems more like a mirage than real life. But Lake McConaughy, or Lake Mac, is just that. A reservoir of the North Platte River, Lake Mac even has surfing. 

You can camp on it's beaches (with tractors available to pull your vehicle out of the sand), rent boats and jet skis, fish and windsurf.( No kidding, y'all, that prairie wind here is fierce.) It's a water sports playground.

So if you're in the middle of landlocked Nebraska and you're feeling that need for sand between your toes or the wind beneath your board, then head to Lake Mac for some lake fun.

How about you? Do you like to get on the water? Where is the most unique place you've boated?


Linking up with: My Corner of the World at Photographing New Zealand and Faraway Files at Oregon Girl Around the World!








Comments

  1. I didn't know these options were available. Thanks for sharing them. I live about an hour from the ocean and I get there as often as I can. Hubby doesn't do small boats very well but he's a champ on our holidays with excursions.

    I'm happy to see your link on 'My Corner of the World' this week! Thanks for linking up!


    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! And thanks for the link-up - I always enjoy visiting My Corner of the World!

      Delete
  2. The title intrigued me, because I rarely read/hear about boat trips in the US :) #farawayfiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I'm glad you stopped by

      Delete
  3. Who knew there were beaches in Nebraska! Haha! All those years of visiting my grandparents in Hastings and we could have been on the lake! I love getting out on the water, but I grew up on a coast and my dad had a boat - so we did that often. I would recommend Lake Tahoe if you've never been - some super clear water and beautiful surrounds! Thanks for linking up with #FarawayFiles. Cheers from Copenhagen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to find such a big, beautiful lake in Nebraska myself! Lol. We live on a lake and visit the coast as much as possible so I'm definitely drawn to the water. And I've been to Tahoe once but we didn't get out on the water - going to have to return for a longer spell and ride on a boat. Thanks for visiting- and for the link-up!

      Delete
  4. I would love to rent one of those floating houses. Looks so peaceful. reminds me of the movie "On Golden Pond" and "The Lake House". We love seeing dolphins when we go out in our boat. Sometimes they swim right up to our boat. So beautiful. Happy travels and thank you for visiting my blog last week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts