Some of My Favorite Dining Experiences from My Travels Around the USA




As we all have been sheltering in place, except for those essential workers (Bravo to them, by the way!) and travel has been non-existent, I though I would highlight some of my favorite meals and dining experiences - and believe me it was hard to choose - here in the good old USA. I hope you enjoy this list - in no particular order - and that you will highlight some of your favorite meals in the comments.


Bouchon, Asheville, North Carolina
I'd been wanting to visit Bouchon for quite some time. Started by Michel Baudouin, a native of Lyon, France, Bouchon's tag line is French Comfort Food. The restaurant is Farm-to-Table and is America's first Green Dining Destination. I dined there for my birthday last year and Bouchon did not disappoint. The menu includes escargot, steak au poivre, and Poulet a La Provencal. I'd eat here again in a heartbeat.



The Obstinate Daughter, Charleston, South Carolina
The Obstinate Daughter is located in Sullivans Island, just outside of Charleston. It's a "Southern restaurant influenced by French, Italian and Spanish cuisine with a wood fired oven, plancha and island kitchen range." Also, a certified Green restaurant, it is Jaques Larson's take on a beachside trattoria - and I just love it's beachy vibe. We were here for brunch and though I wanted to try the famous Cinnamon Bun - it's as big as your head - I had to go for their wood fired pizza. Oh, and try the yellow Bloody Mary.


The Urban Farmer, Ogalalla, Nebraska
I'll be honest and say that there aren't many dining choices in the small town of Ogalalla. On our visit to Lake MacConaughey  we rented a boat and ate lunch out of our cooler but we needed to find somewhere to eat dinner. The Urban Farmer was close to our hotel so we happened upon it - and I liked it so much that we went again the next night. It has cute farm decor and delicious food. The Urban Farmer is a place I would return to, maybe even two nights in a row again.


Pancake Pantry, Gatlinburg, Tennessee
The Pancake Pantry has been serving up hotcakes in Gatlinburg since 1960 when it opened as Tennessee's first pancake house.( So, it's older than me! ) It's always busy - I've seen the line wrap around the building - so I'd never even tried to enjoy breakfast there. Imagine my surprise on my last visit to Gatlinburg when there wasn't a wait for a table at all. It's old school - paper placemat menu's, real butter, wagon wheel tables and chairs - but that doesn't seem to bother their loyal patrons. The menu highlights some 24 kinds of pancakes including Austrian Apple-Walnut cakes, Wildberry crepes and of course, the old standard, silver dollar pancakes. Mine breakfast was delicious. Just be prepared for a wait, and bring cash, that's all they accept for payment.


Hudson's Seafood House on the Docks, Hilton Head, South Carolina
For years I've had recommendations to eat at Hudson's in Hilton Head. I, however, thought that it was a fancy, hoity toity, white tablecloth kind of place.  But I was definitely wrong. I love eating outdoors and it's doubly better if it's by the water. Hudson's is located on the Port Royal Sound and all the tables have waterfront views. They use one of only two local fishing fleets to bring fresh seafood to the restaurant. They specialize in shrimp and oysters and have a great happy hour menu. So if you're in Hilton Head and want to while away a few hours then you might want to consider heading over to Hudson's. But expect crowds - it's very popular. 




Abbotts Lobster in the Rough, Noank, Connecticut
Abbotts, in tiny Noank outside of Mystic, is a waterfront lobster pound - you order at the walk up window and wait for your number to be called, grab a picnic table and enjoy your meal watching the boats go up and down the Mystic River. It's just delightful. Mr. UR says there's not enough lobster in his life so we dined here not once, but twice. Just be aware that it opens in April and closes in October so time your visit for the season.


Red Rooster, New York, New York
Celebrity Chef Marcus Samuellson co-created, along with Andrew Chapman, Red Rooster in the heart of Harlem. It was named after the Harlem speakeasy where jazz greats played and it features live music or dj's every day of the week. Known for "celebrating the roots of American cuisine", some of their signature dishes are Chicken & Waffle, Marcus' cornbread and Shrimp & Grits. We went for a delicious brunch that includes some of those favorites along with my favorite, an OMG biscuit. It was a really fun visit filled with good food, good company and even good music. Be sure to stop by Miss Faye's booth at the front of the restaurant- my daughter and sister-in-law both made purchases from her completely recycled fashion creations.


John's Pizzeria, New York, New York
The hotel staff recommended John's to us but when we tried to go for dinner  one night the line was out the door and down the block. So we returned upon opening the next day for  lunch. I'm very happy that we did. The building is unique - it looks like it's an old theater - and the pizza was very good. Each pizza is made to order, no baking ahead, and we split two. Even though it's in the Times Square area and would seem touristy, I found the pizza to be authentic New York style pizza.


This list is for when we can travel and eat out in restaurants again. Please do not travel at this time or try to visit these restaurants before confirming that they are open and serving patrons.




How about you? What have been some of your favorite or most memorable dining experiences?




Linking up with: My Corner of the World at Photographing New Zealand!











Comments

  1. Love the jeans planters, so creative. You really found some special places to eat along the way. I like going to independent restaurants, pubs and bars. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those jeans planter, also - how creative! Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road, Margy!

      Delete
  2. A few of the names are worth the trip just to say you've been there, but the food looks so fabulous, I can see why you'd like them!

    I am so glad that you took the time to share your world at 'My Corner of the World' this week! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Betty and for the link-up!

      Delete
  3. The food looks amazing! The photos of Abbotts Lobster especially grabbed my attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abbotts is a very special place and I'll keep going back as long as they are open - thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts