A Winter Wander in the North Georgia Mountains

Last fall my sister, mom and I went to the North Georgia Mountains for an autumn wander.(Read about that adventure here) I enjoyed it so much that I booked a belated anniversary getaway there for Mr. UR and I in the winter. Come along for a winter wander weekend in the Blue Ridge!


Anna Ruby Falls
You have to drive through a bit of Unicoi State Park, outside of Helen, to access the Anna Ruby Falls trailhead. If you want to visit the state park and the falls then you'll have to pay the fee for both. But if you're just visiting the waterfall then they waive the fee for the state park.( It's actually part of the Chattahoochee National Forest.)
 The falls sit at the end of a half mile paved trail that starts at a Visitor Center and it's $3 to visit. There are informative sign posts along the route and stone benches to sit on and rest which you may need as the first bit of the trail is uphill. But for our Sunday morning it was a nice walk to a rushing waterfall, or waterfalls if you will, some forest bathing and we had it almost all to ourselves. 


Wineries
The North Georgia mountains have some 30 wineries waiting to be discovered. We did our best to explore as many as possible. Luckily for us the weather was perfect. And the wineries were hosting events for a Winter Wine Weekend including live music, scavenger hunts and free sangria shots.
Here were our choices:

Fainting Goat Vineyards
Fainting Goat has picturesque views of the mountains, floor to ceiling windows to see those views and yes, they do have goats - Ronnie and Reagan. And wine, too. With the live music, wine, and goats this was one of my favorite stops of the day. From the crowds, I think it was many people's favorite.


Otts Farm and Vineyard
Otts is located near Ellijay and came recommended by our Airbnb host. Hosting a mountain view and unique wines like chambourcin, Ott's was a fun stop on our tour. It's a shame we didn't win the scavenger hunt - we were so close!


Yonah Mountain Vineyards
Continuing our theme of wineries with views, Yonah Mountain was our next stop. Located just outside of Helen, Yonah Mountain had a fire going and was offering tours. We sat outside to take in the views and well, enjoy the wine.
Free parking for your Tesla


The Cottage Vineyard and Winery
Next on our tour was The Cottage in Cleveland, Georgia. The Cottage, which is a smaller boutique winery,  was also hosting live music and expansive views so we took our wine to the patio to enjoy both.



Three Sisters Vineyards
Three Sisters is located outside of Dahlonega and is Dahlonega's "first family farm winery". The name is inspired by the view of the Three Sisters Mountain to the west. If you're considering a vineyard wedding then Three Sisters is your place - they have a great looking party barn on the property.
 We had this winery completely to ourselves. Yep, our own private winery.I'll have to admit that this is the only winery I've ever been to that sells cheetos to pair with their wine. And here's a tip for visiting wineries - go tour on Super Bowl Sunday when everyone else is watching the game and you'll have your own private wineries, too.


Bear Claw Vineyards
Bear Claw is located just outside of Blue Ridge and has an outdoor pavilion, fire pit and corn hole. Once again, we had this winery all to ourselves. Well, with the exception of the musician's girlfriend who was dutifully being his audience. So we put our feet up on the fire pit and listened to the young gentleman playing music and enjoyed a wine slushie. And if you're interested in staying on property, Bear Claw has a treehouse that you can rent.
The treehouse you can stay in

Blue Ridge
Blue Ridge is a charming town that is close to Atlanta for a quick getaway. It's famous for the Blue Ridge  Scenic Railway that is quite popular in the autumn months and it's Main Street is one long, cute shopping extravaganza, if you like that sort of thing. Our cabin was just outside of Blue Ridge so we headed into town when we went out to eat.

We had enjoyed meals at Blue Ridge Brewery when it was previously located in downtown Greenville so we went to the one in Blue Ridge on Saturday night. It's quite popular, though, and was standing room only with an hour wait for a table. So we ate at the bar and shared some apps while we talked with another couple doing the same thing.

Our second night of dining was at Chester Bruneymeyer's Bar and Grill which came recommended from our Airbnb host. Located right on the corner of Main Street, I loved my dinner here. (It was far less crowded in town on Sunday)
Another place you may want to try in Blue Ridge, especially if beer is more your thing than wine, is Grumpy Old Men Brewing. (Killer name, right?) It's located in town with an outdoor patio and games - we helped a couple kids play giant jenga - and obviously, beer. 


Richard B Russell Scenic Byway
My GPS advised me to travel to Blue Ridge, and where we were staying, on the Richard B Russell Scenic Byway. A road I had not traveled on before, the Richard B Russell Scenic Byway is 23 miles of winding road. It's on the eastern side of the Chattahoochee National Forest and contains trail heads for two waterfall hikes. There are some pull-offs along the left side of the road - if you're traveling from Helen - for views and photos. Then you come to Hogpen Gap. This is where the Appalachian Trail crosses the road and in the springtime, I hear, there are lots of through hikers getting a jump on the weather.
 When I got to Hogpen Gap, though, what I found was ice and ice climbers. There were a couple climbers climbing the rock wall with all their gear on. Pretty cool to see. So if you're in the Helen area and would like to travel a scenic mountain, and curvy, road then give this one a try.


Where we Stayed
We stayed at the cutest tiny cabin just outside Blue Ridge that we rented through Airbnb. (It's this one) I loved, loved, loved this cabin which had everything we needed and was the perfect size for 2 people - hot tub included and front porch swing included. I highly recommend renting this cabin if you're in the area and only have two people.

So now I've visited the Blue Ridge area in the autumn and winter. I've just got spring and summer to go - and there are more wineries to visit!


How about you? Have you been to any of the North Georgia wineries? Fancy a winter wander there?


Linking up with:My Corner of the World at Photographing New Zealand and The Weekend Wanderlust Weekend Travel Blog Party!






Comments

  1. No, I haven't been to the Blue Ridge area but the wineries do seem inviting. I love the idea of visiting them on Super Bowl Sunday. I'd also like to see the area in the spring and summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to plan something for every Super Bowl Sunday - it will be crowd free. Thanks for visiting, Rhonda!

      Delete
  2. I've been in this area in the fall -- autumn leaves are so lovely. But it's appealing in winter, too! Your cabin looks so cozy. And those wineries call to me! Of course, I would go if only to see those waterfalls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to go back for more waterfall chasing in the spring or summer and to complete my tour of the area. I've really enjoyed my visits there. Thanks for stopping by, Sharon!

      Delete
  3. Waterfalls and Wineries sounds like my perfect day. To be honest, I've never really thought of Georgia being a wine destination. All of those wineries look beautiful and the views of the mountains are absolutely stunning. #WeekendWanderlust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of wineries in the Georgia mountains either and to be fair, it's not really Napa, but I'll visit wineries anywhere :) Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  4. Wow, your post brought back some memories from when I lived in Toccoa, GA! The wineries weren't there (that's how long it has been!) but I always enjoyed the autumn scenery. If you're going to Helen in the summer, be prepared for acres of tourists, especially during Oktoberfest! Thanks for linking up to My Corner of the World!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, isn't it, that you lived there years ago and I've just discovered this area? Thanks for the link-up, Betty - and for visiting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts