Chicago eats

You could probably get anything that you wanted to eat in Chicago. Except for maybe your mom's home cooking. Unless, of course, your mom lives in Chicago. But if she doesn't then you can find a restaurant with food just like mom's.

I hadn't been to the Windy City in an a very, very long time so I decided to stick with the tried and true Chicago eats.

We stayed in the Bucktown neighborhood of Chicago (Thanks Larry!) and our first stop was at Ipsento, aka Hipsento, a very popular coffee shop. We had breakfast sandwiches and homemade doughnuts with all the uber hip people of Bucktown.





We also ate at Asada's, which is 2 doors down from Ipsento, for authentic Mexican food. And we ate at Floyd's Pub, a very cool little neighborhood bar that you would never find on your own unless you lived in that neighborhood. Floyd's has a few outside tables and offers chalkboard specials. Then they cook the food in front of you in the tiny bar.

While in the city we had to go for the classics. For lunch one day we had red hots at Gold Coast Dogs. I have to say that it was one of the best hot dogs I have ever had.  Has to be on a poppy seed bun and have the tomatoes!




We went for the cliched Harry Caray Tavern when we were at Navy Pier. Mainly because there were a bazillion people, a long wait and 2 seats became available at the bar. Food was ok, view of Lake Michigan was good and bartenders were fun to watch.




And also a short stop for a beverage at the Navy Pier Bier Garden - 




The piece de resistance was deep dish pizza at Giordano's, one of the most famous pizza places in Chicago.As filling as it looks, more like a pie with a real crust and a 40 minute wait time for it to cook, it was definitely worth it!




For those of you not already subscribing to this lil ole blog, you can do so by filling in your e-mail address in the top right hand corner (right under the my photo). You'll be notified of each new blog post - and you won't miss a thing!



Once again this week I am linking up at www.walkingontravels.com for #FridayPostcards!!!!

Comments

  1. I've always wanted to eat a slice of authentic Chicago pizza. When I do, I'll have to make sure I'm not starving when I get there or else I fear that 40 minutes may be too long for me to wait. I'll have to try those Gold Coast Dogs you mentioned, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were so surprised that it was a 40 minute wait MIchele! Luckily we went early to beat the crowds so it wasn't too bad. Well worth the wait though!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts