August

I don't mind the month of August coming to an end and flying by because today is my birthday. I've always thought that it's a great time to have a birthday - holiday (in the US) weekend, still nice hot n sunny weather and the end of the month so you can look forward to it for 30 days. Now that I am, ahem...older ..I still look forward to having a day to reflect on where you've been and where you're going. It's all good. Now on to August.


Travel
I started out the month with a girls weekend to Helen, Georgia. Didn't turn out as planned and the trip got cut short but I am still happy I was able to see some of my favorite people who I don't get to see very often. Mr. UR and I traveled to Ohio for a very, very short trip to attend his high school reunion. Lots of fun, laughing and driving. And we also took a quick trip to Florida to visit his folks - they have just moved into assisted living and this was my first time visiting them since the move. No major trips but some fun all the same!


Eats
I always have lots of good eats but I had a coupla favorites this month.

We ate lunch at Cafe International in Helen and I had a really delicious bavarian ham and cheese sandwich. Their specialty is a reuben - but I am just not a fan so I went with the bavarian ham. And it was yummy!





Next up is my friend Wayne's incredible bruschetta - he is the bruschetta master!


Beyond yummy! I could eat that whole plate full!


Reads
I had a bit of down time this month so I got some reading in. I have enjoyed the Maisie Dobbs mystery series for awhile now and I read her newest edition, A Dangerous Place by Jacqueline Winspear. These are books about private investigator Maisie Dobbs that take place in the 1920's and 1930's. I also read Snow White Must Die by Nele Neuhaus. I have to admit that this one got a bit over my head. For whatever reason, it was a very confusing mystery and I kept having to re-read and check back on past facts. I also read the non-fiction Stumbling Upon Happiness by Daniel Gilbert. I usually enjoy "happiness psychology" books and articles but this one also proved to be over my head. I enjoyed his style of writing but I really had to concentrate on each sentence so no light reading for me on this one. Last but not least, I read a fluff paperback, Hidden Summit, by Robyn Carr. This was very light reading and didn't take long. I am now enjoying some chick-lit, Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan, which takes place in Cornwall in England


So that wraps up August! How was your month? Any travels, good eats or reading?


Comments

Popular Posts