March/April 2016

I realized that I forgot to write a month's end recap for March so I'm combining it with April. And away we go....

Travel
I didn't travel much in March and April. In fact, I only went one place and that was to fly to my in-laws in Southern Florida for 2 nights and drive their car back up to North Carolina where they were moving into a new assisted living facility. We also are in the midst of a kitchen reno and my youngest is graduating from college next week and we will have family in for awhile. So some times just aren't meant for travel. But I hope to make up for lost time with a few summer and fall trips - plans are all set and I'm hitting the ground running in June!

I have been traveling vicariously through my kids though. My oldest went skiing in Whistler, British Columbia in March and traveled for his first time to Oregon this past month. And my daughter flew to visit a friend in Sydney, Australia in April. She stayed with her friend and experienced a good bit of Sydney and the surrounding area including Royal National Park, the Blue Mountains and did the Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb. My youngest is getting ready to travel to Iceland on WOW airlines. Can't wait to see and hear all about it.

Eats
There's been lots of eating at home - in fact, we've been mainly eating at home. We did, however, take our youngest to a revolving restaurant on the top of one of the dorms at The University of South Carolina. It's the only revolving restaurant in South Carolina - the revolving part was purchased from a former worlds fair and affixed to the top of the building - and as expected the views are fantastic.( It takes an hour for it to revolve completely) It's only open twice a week - for a Friday barbeque lunch and brunch on Sundays. The food was delicious - and of course, the view made it even better. So I'm picking the Top of Carolina as my favorite eats for the month.

The view from the Top of Carolina in Columbia, South Carolina at the University of South Carolina. If you look closely you can see Williams-Brice Stadium, home of the Gamecocks.

Read
I've been on a kick of re-reading all of Agatha Christie's mysteries these past few months. I've made it through about 8 - and have a long way to go but I have been enjoying them. I also managed to sneak in Isabelle Allende's novel, The Japanese Lover which I also enjoyed. It's about a girl sent to live in the US during World War II and her relationship with the Japanese gardener's son of her aunt and uncle, who she lives with. I also read a non-fiction memoir that a writer who interviewed an organic farmer, married him and relocated to upstate New York for their life of living close to the land, wrote. I love reading stories of the challenges and excitement of people who go through a lifestyle change. If you're interested in hearing about someone's life who might be very different from your own, I recommend this. It's called The Dirty Life - On Farming, Food and Love by Kristin Kimball.

Well, there's March and April - How was your March and April? Where have you traveled?

Comments

Popular Posts