Boating on Colorado's Lake Dillon

Colorado's Lake Dillon is located between Denver and Breckenridge - just off of I-70 - near the town of Frisco. On a previous visit to see our son and his girlfriend, we visited the Tiki Bar located on the lake. Since I'm always drawn to water - even in Colorado's lovely Rocky Mountains - I knew I wanted to come back and try to get out on the water this time.

On our July 4th weekend visit this year, we rented a little 19 foot runabout boat ( we tried for a pontoon but they were all reserved already) and hit the water. Wow. Lake Dillon is gorgeous - but of course, a lake surrounded by the Rocky Mountains is gonna be gorgeous. 

Our rental was already gassed up and we were allowed to bring our own cooler. We rented it for 2 hours which was just about perfect for tooling around the lake and I think we saw most of it. Including ogling some mountaintop homes overlooking the lake.





Unfortunately, there is no swimming or water sports allowed on the lake - like most Colorado lakes, it's a reservoir used for residents drinking water - but we still enjoyed ourselves. Besides, the water was just a tad above freezing in this "used-to-warm-water" wimps opinion.






Can you spot the houses up on the ridge?
They're up there!

After our visit to Lake Dillon, we headed west to Vail for dinner and enjoyed a meal at Garfunkel's overlooking Lionshead Village's ski slopes - or mountain biking slopes at this time of year.  It was a perfect summer evening to eat outside - and enjoy an afternoon on a gorgeous mountain lake.






Have you been to Colorado in summer? Boated on any of it's lakes? 


This post is part of a link-up with: Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Travelers Sandbox, Weekend Travel Inspiration at Reflections Enroute and The Weekend Wanderlust Travel Blog Party!








Comments

  1. I really like lakes! Sometimes, I think I prefer them over the beach. We have never rented an embarkation in one. Two hours sound like a good amount of time to see how it goes. I am a nerve freak. I am sure I will be shouting and screaming to my husband (I can see him saying he want to ride alone). #TPThursday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a lake person, also! So I really enjoyed this lake excursion - the views were stunning! Thanks for visiting, Ruth!

      Delete
  2. We're always drawn to water too and this lake looks gorgeous. I bet it is cold though! We've owned boats all our life and would love to drive a boat around the lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only dipped my fingers in but I could tell that it was icy cold! I love getting on the water on different lakes - it's the best! Thanks for visiting, Jan!

      Delete
  3. We have spent quite a lot of time in Colorado in summer. The cycling trails are fantastic. They are not just all about downhill biking. Many are flat, easy trails with beautiful scenery. Next time we are there I must check out Lake Dillon. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only think of mountain biking as that's what my son does - though I know you can bike from winery to winery in Western Colorado! (More on that later :)) Thanks for visiting, Lyn!

      Delete
  4. I live right down the road and have never done this, crazy! It is gorgeous but I don't like cold water so have stayed away. You just changed my mind. Thanks! #WeekendWanderlust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you make it down the road and experience Lake Dillon from the water! Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  5. I have only been in Colorado in the winter (ski and snowboard time). I understand how cold high altitude (snow runoff) lakes can be and I would never dream of going into this type of water. I understand the no water sports rule but is there fishing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is fishing - and there were many families and kids fishing from the dock area. Also there is wading allowed near the docks so there were some kids actually "swimming". Way too cold for me - even for wading! Thanks for visiting, Rhonda!

      Delete
  6. What a great outing! We've never been to Colorado during the summer. It's always been our winter ski place. I'd love to explore it in the summer. We have seen Lake Dillon in winter though partly frozen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colorado is such a beautiful state that's it's perfect to visit year round - though my son has been stuck in a few springtime snowfalls and blizzards so I tend to stay home then. :) Thanks for visiting, Mary!

      Delete
  7. What a fun day! I love getting out on the water like this. Thanks for linking in to #wkendtravelinspiration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! It's the best! Thanks for visiting, Jim!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts