Crushin on Long Island's North Fork

Long Island's North Fork - the northern coast and portion where Long Island splits - is rural wine country with small towns and farm stands aplenty. If you love wine tasting, plant shopping or eating seafood in a bucolic setting, then this is the place for you. A little bit of Napa just outside of New York City! Man, I love this place!


We visited in the spring making the 3 hour-ish drive from the city by rental car. My goal was to spend the day wine tasting and enjoying the scenery with the possibility of getting some farm fresh produce or maybe even homemade pie. I only accomplished the former but it was still a fantastic day.

Mr. UR made up our highly efficient wine tasting route map - he's always in charge of logistics and there's no backtracking allowed - after me and my daughter picked some of the ones we wanted to visit. I was hoping for the pie-in-the-sky number of eight wineries while my daughter said we'd be lucky to make five and quite possibly only three. We ended up at five - all different and all with good wine.

Our first stop was at Kontokosta Winery in Greenport. Kontokosta has water views of the Long Island sound (but not water or beach access) and a modern, barnlike tasting room. You can taste and tour in the tasting room or take your wine out to the picnic tables overlooking the water . We chose to do the latter and thoroughly enjoyed sitting with a glass of wine at a picnic table staring out at the sound. The winery was hosting a wedding that day and they would be closing at 3pm so I was glad we chose Kontokosta to visit first.






It was time for lunch so we drove towards the town of Greenport and saw a sign for Billy's by the Bay Seafood Restaurant. A "fresh seafood and lobster" restaurant located in the Brewers Yacht yard, Billy's has a tiki bar and screened porch with brightly colored tables and chairs for a festive atmosphere. Mr. UR enjoyed lobster while my daughter and I went for a landlubber special. Feeling satisfied, we took a quick drive through Greenport and headed to the next winery.





Next on our route was One Woman Wines and Vineyard which was started by - as you can tell by the title - one woman. Claudia Purita grew up on her family's farm in Italy and after moving to Long Island she decided to start her own vineyard hand planting much of the vines. One Woman has a small tasting shed with a walk-up window and views of her vineyard. If you enjoy a smaller, intimate setting for a vineyard then this is the winery for you.  We each enjoyed a glass of wine here rather than a tasting. And we were off to our next stop.



Our next stop was the winner of the day and quite possibly a lifetime. Croteaux Vineyards makes rose and only rose. They are the only vineyard in the United States to do so.  Located in the town of Southold, Croteaux has a tasting barn and outdoor seating where they bring the tastings to you. We arrived to a long line standing outside what we thought was the tasting room. After asking we found out that was the line to the restroom, so we made our way through the building and entered into the most magical courtyard with various types of seating. We ordered our flights of rose and sparkling rose and took gajillions of photos while we waited. It's just that special. I enjoyed my flight - and so did my daughter. (Mr. UR sat this one out - rose isn't his thing )Then we walked around the grounds before deciding we should leave - even though we didn't want to. I'm definitely going back someday and I might visit Croteaux only - though that will be difficult as there are so many others to visit!

















We  headed down the road to Bedell Cellars - another beautiful winery on Long Island. A delightful place for a wedding, Bedell has a tasting barn with outdoor seating overlooking the vineyard. Beautiful view and beautiful sunset. Known for it's musee, we decided not to do a tasting here as time was running short so we enjoyed a glass of wine. 






Last but not least was Lieb Cellars. Lieb has more of a hip, urban vibe than the other farmhouse style vineyards that are family run. Sustainably farmed and run by a creative group of young people, Lieb specializes in small production, reserve wines. By now, I was getting a bit "wined" out so I ordered a glass of their dessert wine -created in the ice wine style( ice wine is especially sweet as the grapes are left on the vine for two or three frosts) - to sip on. It was just right. 





We had visited five North Fork wineries - and my stomach was thinking that it was time for dinner. We decided to head towards our hotel and grab dinner on the way instead of backtracking to Greenport. What a fun day! 


What are your favorite wineries to visit? Have you had wine on the North Fork?


This post is part of a link-up with: Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Travelers Sandbox, The Weekend Wanderlust Travel Blog PartyThe Weekly Postcard at Travel Notes and Beyond and Weekend Travel Inspiration at Reflections Enroute!

 a


Hurricane updates: Thanks to everyone for your kind words and thoughts about my family. My mom and brother are a few of the lucky ones. They are safe, with no damage to their residence and were without power for a week. The schools in Naples reopened two days ago with some businesses still not open but power was supposed to be totally restored to the area by today. The Keys will be a much longer recovery and rebuilding process and you can still donate to help those affected from Hurricane Irma.

Please pray for all the good people of Puerto Rico and consider donating if you can. Their island has been catastrophically wiped out from Hurricane Maria and is 100% without power with most streets turned into rivers. If you would like to donate, you can google Hurricane Maria and be taken to websites for donating.

Also please pray for those in Mexico City and consider donating if you can. At least 275 people have died and the recovery effort is ongoing. If you would like to donate, you can google Mexico earthquake and google will take you to websites for donating.

Comments

  1. i love the north fork, especially of you go on the off-season (not summer). It's more rural and low key than the uber -stylish Hamptons on the South Fork. I know two of the wineries you mention but not the other two, so it must be time to visit again. The first one looks kid friendly with that big lawn and adirondack chairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just loved it! What a fantastic area - I can't wait to go back!

      Delete
  2. Wineries, fresh seafood, what could be wrong with that! This looks like a great way to get out and see the countryside. Thanks for linking in to the #wkendtravelinspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful - a new favorite area for me! Thanks for visiting - and for the link-up!

      Delete
  3. Such a fun area, I love doing wine tours there. I just wish the wine wasn't quite so expensive. #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tastings were a bit expensive but the glasses of wine weren't too bad - I'm glad they have that option, too. Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  4. Have you ever gone to Niagara on the Lake and tried Ice Wine? That is my favorite place! #WeekendWanderlust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not been to Niagara on the Lake but I did try ice wine in New Hampshire - I know, go figure! Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  5. Any day with the goal of wine tasting, enjoying the scenery and attempting to get fresh produce sounds like a good day to me! Glad to hear your family is safe! So sad what happened! Thanks for linking up with #TheWeeklyPostcard!
    (www.caliglobetrotter.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good day! And thanks for your kind thoughts about my family - so much disaster everywhere. My heart goes out to those in Puerto Rico and Mexico right now. Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  6. I live about an hour from here! We love Bedell, but havent been to any of those others. Im going to pin this for future (next weekend we are heading out that way to go apple picking)

    http://www.mommatogo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! I liked all the ones we visited - and can't wait to visit more. Hope you had fun apple picking. Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  7. Wine tasting? Count me in. I've never been wine tasting on the East Coast because we are quite spoiled here, in California. It seems though that I'm missing a lot. Maybe I should go visit Long Island's wineries after all. #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll go wine tasting anytime, anywhere :)! I think you'll find that Long Island's wineries are a bit more low-key than California - kind of a miniature Sonoma - but still worth visiting. Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  8. I wasn't aware of the wineries off New York's Long Island. They certainly have a lot of style. I think I would have picked the lobster at Billy's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely have their own style - not like any other wineries I've been to. Very enjoyable. Thanks for visiting, Rhonda!

      Delete
  9. I'm glad to hear that your family did relatively okay with Irma. My husband's aunt & cousin's homes were all flooded in Harvey by about 3 feet of water. I don't usually associate Long Island with wine, although I had ice wine from New York on my Disney cruise. Your day going vineyard to vineyard looks lovely, and I think I might like to try that sparkling rose. #WkendTravelInspiration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sparkling rose was fantastic - and our day was also. I'm sorry to hear about your family's flooding from Harvey - I'm hoping for a quick recovery for them but I know that it usually takes a long time. I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts