Colorado's Wine Country

Did you know that Colorado has a Wine Country? I didn't. But it does. Located about four hours west of Denver in the fertile Grand Valley, Colorado's Wine Country is small. Around 20-ish wineries. And you can ride your bike from vineyard to vineyard. Really. Since it's in a valley, the wine country is flat and fairly close together. If that's not appealing then here's another idea - float from winery to winery. Yep, float. From April to October you can go on a guided float trip down the Colorado River to visit vineyards and orchards. How unique is that?!
When we visit my son and his girlfriend every year in Colorado we try to see a different area of the state. Some time with them and some sightseeing. Win-win. And they had friends who had visited Wine Country and pedaled around the area tasting wine. I was sold on that idea for our next visit. We stayed in Grand Junction and floated on the Colorado River, visited a brewery, took in Colorado National Monument and day tripped over to Moab and Arches National Park in Utah. And we visited five wineries in the Palisade/Grand Junction area. They were: St. Kathryn Cellars, Maison La Belle Vie, Carlson Vineyards, Garfield Estates and Hermosa Vineyards. Unfortunately, the temps were in the high 90's so bike riding wasn't in the cards for us this time but I hope I can go again and give it a try. Like most wine countries, the wineries all had their own personality and style which is part of the fun of visiting them. In the shadow of the Grand Mesa - the largest flattop mountain in the world -  the Grand Valley has warm days and cool nights to produce not only wine but also fruit. (This area is specifically known for the Palisade Peach) So even though they produce well-known types of wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay they are particularly known for their fruity, sweet wines - which suits my palate just fine. Colorado's Wine Country is no Burgundy or Napa - it's just a small, scenic area of locally owned and run wineries that's enjoyable to visit. I truly enjoyed my visit - but then I almost always enjoy wineries!













I'd love to go back in September when Grand Junction hosts the Colorado Mountain Winefest which features over 55 different Colorado wineries, a grape stomp, live music,  wine seminars and a winemakers dinner. A wine festival in the high desert of Colorado with to-die-for views of the Grand Mesa? Count me in! 






Things to know before you go:
- Grand Junction is located is 240 miles west of Denver via I-70 on the western slope of the Rocky Mountains. There are daily flights from Denver to Grand Junction.
- The Colorado Mountain Winefest will be held from September 13-16, 2018. More info at www.coloradowinefest.com
- More info on Colorado wineries and a route map is available at www.coloradowine.com

How about you? Have you been to Colorado's Wine Country? Or even heard of it?

Follow me on: InstagramFacebook


This post is part of a link-up with: The Weekly Postcard at Travel Notes and Beyond and The Weekend Wanderlust Travel Blog Party!





Comments

  1. I love wine and I had no idea CO had a wine country! I love the idea of biking and esp floating! how did the wines taste? Do they specialize in one type? Found you from the #WeekendWanderlust party!
    http://www.mommatogo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wines are mainly sweet but they also have Cabernet Sauvignon,Chardonnay and what we would consider regular wines. Thanks so much for visiting, Harmony!

      Delete
  2. I also didn't know that but I LOVE the sound of riding your bike from one winery to another! In California it's popular to rent a limo for the afternoon with a bunch of friends and go from one to the next bc they're so far apart and quite hilly. Thanks for joining #TheWeeklyPostcard!!
    (www.caliglobetrotter.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to go back someday and ride from winery to winery! Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  3. Wine testing? Count me in! I had no idea that Colorado could produce good wines. It didn't seem to have the right climate for it. We went biking from one winery to another in Paso Robles, but I didn't like it too much. It was very tiring. #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The climate in Grand Junction seems to be ok for producing wine though they tend towards the sweeter side. I love the Paso Robles wineries! Gonna have to get back there!

      Delete
  4. I am an avid reader of Sunset Magazine and Colorado's wine country has been featured there many times. I know it is very scenic and kind of unique. It would be awesome to visit on a road trip from Los Angeles to Denver (I have been wanting to do that for a long time). #WeekendWanderlust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Sunset, also - even though I don't live in the West :) I think a road trip from LA to Denver would be great! Thanks for visiting, Ruth!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts