Visiting Seoul's Gyeongbokgung Palace

On our trip to Seoul this past spring, we had two days on our own as our daughter, who we were visiting, was working. We scheduled a full day tour of Seoul and all it's highlights which included one of the most visited spots in all of Korea - Gyeongbokgung Palace. 





Built in 1395, Gyeongbokgung Palace is the largest of the five palaces built by the Joseon dynasty and was the home of the King, his household and the Joseon government. Known as the main palace of Seoul, it was located in the heart of the city. While under occupation of Japan, most of the buildings were destroyed. Starting in 1989 the government of Korea started the slow rebuilding process and has restored almost 40% of the buildings. You can now visit and watch the changing of the guard ceremony and see the buildings on the grounds. You may also visit the National Palace Museum of Korea and the National Folk Museum that are located on the grounds - they weren't on our tour schedule so we didn't visit either.



You can see many wearing hanbok - or traditional Korean dress - at the palace. 

Included on the grounds is the king's main residence, the throne hall, a pavilion for dances and events, the queen's residence including her famous garden, the king's mother's residence, a library, the king's office, an ancestral shrine and several other private residences of family members. As you can tell - it's large - and there are many buildings to see.








The Queen's Garden

The Changing of the Guard ceremony takes place on the parade grounds in front of the main gate every hour from 10:00 to 3:00. Actors recreate this ceremony with narration in Korean and English. And you can get your photo with one of the guards afterwards - but don't expect a smile!

















Gyeongbokgung was definitely one of the places that was high on my list in visiting Seoul. I'm so glad I was able to go - but the palace and it's grounds are so massive that I feel I wasn't able to see even a fraction on our tour. Due to some of our tour mates being late to the tour, we practically ran through the grounds to make it to our next stop on time. So if you're going, give yourself plenty of time.But don't miss it. It's truly a highlight of Seoul.






How about you? Have you been to any of the palaces in Seoul?


This post is part of a link-up with: Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Travelers Sandbox, The Weekly Postcard at Travel Notes and Beyond and The Weekend Wanderlust Travel Blog Party!








Comments

  1. Thanks for the lovely photos. It brings back memories. I never made it to Geongbukgun Palace, so this was a treat for me. The ladies in hanbok and the view of the lake were my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved seeing all the hanbok, too - it really made the palace a highlight for me. Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  2. Great post! Your photos are stunning and the architecture there looks amazing. Seoul is on my bucket list and I'd definitely love to visit the palace. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really enjoyed my visit to Seoul - and Korea. I hope you make it there someday! Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  3. Your pictures of Seoul are really beautiful. I've never been in Asia yet, but I'm planning to go to China next year. Thank you for sharing this on #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I think China would be so cool to visit - I can't wait to hear about it and see your photos. Thanks for visiting - and for the link-up!

      Delete
  4. Seoul is a city we really want to visit one day. nice pictures. #theweeklypostcard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  5. I've wanted to visit S Korea for so long, this looks like such a great experience #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed my time in S. Korea. The people were friendly and the food was great - I hope you make it there someday! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. This is a really nice set of photos. Great you were able to visit this palace on such a bright day. Here in Los Angeles (San Pedro) we have a Korean Friendship Bell (it is located on a place with sea views). The details there look so similar to the king's residence. #TPThursday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth! I imagine that the Korean Friendship Bell in LA is modeled after the king's residence - how cool is it that they did that? Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. These are lovely photos of the palace. I really like the traditional dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So do I! And thanks for visiting,Rhonda!

      Delete
  8. I love this comprehensive post with gorgeous photos. The traditional dresses are so unusual and beautiful. A lot of Japanese dress traditionally when visiting famous shrines or temples in Kyoto also. Similar tradition here I see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan! I love the traditional dress also - we even were able to try some on when we were in Seoul. Wait until you see those photos :)!

      Delete
  9. I didn't realize that Seoul had such grand palaces. Wow! It's beautiful. I love going to historical sites like this so thanks for cluing me in. Sorry you didn't get enough time to explore it, as it looks like there is quite a lot of grounds to explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see the other four but this one was definitely grand. My daughter still lives in Seoul so I may be back and will go on my own the next time to wander slowly. Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  10. What a great collection of photos! I would love to visit Seoul just to see this palace. It is absolutely beautiful and so much culture. We love visiting castles in Europe so this is definite wish list. Those details are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! It was definitely one of my favorite things I did in Seoul. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  11. Gyeongbokgung Palace looks very beautiful and seems quite big. Your have some very impressive photos here, thanks for sharing them on #TheWeeklyPostcard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for visiting - and for the link-up!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts