Floating the Colorado River

It was a sunny July day. It wasn't too hot but the water was still quite cold. We had hooked up with Palisade River Trips to float down the Colorado River. Mr. UR and I were on a raft along with another couple and our son and his girlfriend were kayaking. All the others in our group were stand-up paddle boarding. We had put in near Palisade and were floating our way past the desert scenery to our take out spot. From there Palisade River Trips would drive us back to our vehicle. It was about a 3 hour trip and our guide, Dave, would give us some facts about the river, the area and some history along the way.




The Colorado River starts high in the Rocky Mountains of central Colorado, runs through the Grand Valley of western Colorado - where we were - and keeps flowing to the Gulf of California. The Grand Valley area is a very placid area of the river.( I'm told the part of the river to raft is in Glenwood Canyon with it's 16 miles of whitewater that is considered some of the best in the country) So our float was extremely calm. The water was refreshingly chilly - the only thing I was putting in was my feet but our son's girlfriend braved it and went swimming. 
She's pretty fearless.




On our float trip we passed the Grand Mesa - the largest flat top mountain in the world. Grand Mesa is so large that there are hundreds of lakes and ponds - 300 to be exact - above 11,000 feet at the top of it. It's quite the grand jewel of western Colorado. In the summer, the surrounding area is a hotbed of hiking,fishing, camping and mountain biking. In the winter, Grand Mesa is home to Powderhorn Ski Resort.




Our guide told us that this area was once  arid but about 100 years ago they diverted the river into an irrigation source - and now it's not only known as Colorado's Wine Country but also known as one of North America's best fruit growing regions. Have you ever heard of Palisade Peaches?

Anytime I'm on the water, I'm pretty happy. Our float trip was so enjoyable - feet up (or in the water) while we rode down the river enjoying the scenery and Dave's tales of the area. If you ever get a chance, float down the Colorado.(Or raft it in Glenwood Canyon) Maybe visit a few wineries. Eat some sun ripened fruit. I know if I get back to western Colorado, I'll definitely be floating again.


Linking up with: Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Travelers Sandbox, The Weekend Wanderlust Weekend Travel Blog PartyThe Weekly Postcard at Travel Notes and Beyond and Wednesday Around The World!











Comments

  1. Wow - that is gorgeous!! Thats a trip on my list to make!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really beautiful area, isn't it? I think I could easily live there. Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  2. Colorado is such a beautiful state and so much fun to visit. On a nice summer day I can't imagine any better outdoor adventure than rafting or kayaking along the Colorado River. Good choice! #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really relaxing and fun day. Thanks for visiting, Deborah!

      Delete
  3. That looks so fun AND relaxing! I love that you can jump in the water and float around too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was both - and our guide was encouraging us to go in....but notice I didn't. :) Thanks for visiting, Sharon!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures. So idyllic.
    dropping by from WATW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  5. I like the idea of floating over the river. I cannot swim so, the idea of rafting make me nervous. Your photos are so beautiful! I hope to visit the Grand Valley area one day (while driving from LA to Denver, a trip I have been wanting to do in a long time). #TPThursday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth! And I love your idea of a LA to Denver road trip - so much to see along the way! Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  6. We just finished touring the Southwest and are dying to go back and take a rafting trip down the Colorado. Swimming in 42 degree water definitely us fearless. I only waded and mu toes were numb in minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We just finished touring the Southwest and are dying to go back and take a rafting trip down the Colorado. Swimming in 42 degree water definitely us fearless. I only waded and mu toes were numb in minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were there on a very hot day and the water still numbed my toes when I put them in. Hope you had a good Southwest trip - so much to see! Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  8. I think floating on Colorado river would be something I would enjoy. There doesn't seem to be too much of an effort. Besides, I don't see any rapids. Are there any? I wouldn't like that (lol!) #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No rapids, just a nice slow pace. No effort at all - which is why I really enjoyed it.Very relaxing! Thanks for visiting - and for the link-up!

      Delete
  9. I love how relaxing this looks. I especially like the idea of just floating and enjoying the scenery. The fruits and winery are great incentives too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to find someplace so inviting that you never knew about before - and very relaxing. Thanks for visiting, Mary!

      Delete
  10. I absolutely love the look of the river and surrounding country. I hope one day we can float down it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can, too! Thanks for stopping by, Jan!

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts