March Beach of the Month: Del Mar, California

Located some twenty miles north of San Diego, Del Mar is a seaside town on the Pacific Ocean. Home of the infamous Del Mar Racetrack - founded and popularized by Bing Crosby - and the San Diego County Fair, Del Mar is for those with "a taste for fast horses, beautiful beaches and award winning cuisine."




On my recent visit to San Diego, I stayed with family north and inland of the city. The closest beach to visit was Del Mar. My mom, my sister, my two nieces and I put together a picnic dinner and drove over to see sunset. We watched the sun drop and enjoyed our dinner at a picnic table at Seagrove Park - a park with direct beach access - with the temperature being a chilly 55 degrees. We were cold but it was a peaceful sunset and there were plenty of people out enjoying it or a walk along the coast. I'd love to go back and spend a few days in Del Mar - and if I did this is what I could do there.







Where to Stay
Hotel Indigo Del Mar
I'd likely stay here as I like Holiday Inn's Hotel Indigo brand - it's fresh and each property is different - plus I'd probably be able to use hotel points. The Hotel Indigo is located two blocks from the beach on the main drag and has an outdoor pool along with ocean views. It also includes a day spa and the Ocean View Bar & Grill.
source

Hilton San Diego Del Mar
If you're a fan of the Hilton hotel chain, then you might want to stay here. Upscale rooms with an outdoor pool, fire pit and local area shuttle. 

L'Auberge del Mar
One of the poshest hotels - and spas - in the area, L'Auberge is considered a resort that includes a pool and tennis court. You might want to start saving your pennies if you want to stay here - or even go to the spa. I hear it costs a pretty penny.

Where to Eat
As I mentioned, we stopped at Von's Supermarket and brought our own food with us. But here are a few restaurants that I've heard mentioned:

Jake's Del Mar
Jake's is located right on the sand - next to the park we were eating in - with floor to ceiling windows and serves brunch, lunch, dinner and happy hour. Serving "chef driven coastal fare and sea elixirs."

Del Mar Pizza
I'd have to stop here to grab some pizza. A block uphill from the beach, there is outdoor patio seating available under twinkle lights. They specialize in thin crust Neapolitan pizza using a secret family recipe for it's dough.

Pacifica Del Mar
Here's your brunch spot - sitting on a hill in town with ocean views - Pacifica is known for their seafood. Their Ocean Bar includes and International Vodka Bar. And if you can grab a table with a sunset view.
source

What to Do
Del Mar Racetrack
As I mentioned before, Del Mar is known for it's horse racing. Founded and popularized by Bing Crosby - who knew?!- The Del Mar Thoroughbred Club racetrack is housed at the Del Mar Fairgrounds. This year the season runs from July 18 to September 3. And the world famous Breeders Cup Race brings some 90 million dollars in to the San Diego economy. So try your luck if you're in town!


San Diego County Fair
The largest county fair in the United States, the San Diego County Fair is held each year in June and July (2018 dates are from June 1 to July 4) It attracts over a million and a half visitors to watch concerts, ride rides, peruse the competitive exhibits and see the animals.

Del Mar Dog Beach
Bring your favorite puppy to Dog Beach which is known to be long, cliff-lined and perfect for a walk with Fido or Rover.
source

And, of course, there is the beach, surfing, paddle boarding, shopping and spa visiting if the above doesn't satisfy you.





Another unique feature of Del Mar is the Amtrak and Coaster trains which run right along the coastline. You can get off at the nearby Solana station and take a complimentary shuttle to Del Mar Racetrack.




How about you? Have you been to Del Mar? What is your favorite thing to do there?



Linking up with: WATW at Communal Global, The Weekly Postcard at Travel Notes and Beyond,The Weekend Wanderlust Travel Blog Party and Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Travelers Sandbox!






Comments

  1. What a charming place to watch the sunset! I love beaches, no matter where they are! I wouldn't mind riding the train along the coast, it sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the train along the coast would be great - I haven't done much train travel and would like to start doing more. Thanks for visiting, Betty!

      Delete
  2. Yes! We live in San Diego. You've captured the beauty of Del Mar in your photos. The restaurants are pricey, but we have been to some good ones for special occasions. The view just can't be beat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful views - I'd love to go back and try some of the restaurants - there's just never enough time, is there? Thanks for visiting, Sharon!

      Delete
  3. Aww now you've gone and made me homesick! I'm from Vista and often went to Del Mar! I used to love going to the fair or the horse races and one of my favorite pizza joints is nearby but looking on the map to remember the name, it looks like it's gone! :( Thanks for linking up with #TheWeeklyPostcard!
    (www.caliglobetrotter.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the homesickness - but I'd be homesick, too, if I was from here. Beautiful place. I'd love to go to the horse races there someday. Thanks for visiting, Lori!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for stopping by The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  5. Yay! I am loving beach of the month. Excited since this is one I have been too. We spent a lovely afternoon strolling around Del Mar and then had a fabulous dinner at an Italian Restaurant where we were able to watch the sunset. I would have loved to have spent even more time there. It's a very cute beach town. #WeekendWanderlust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very cute beach town - glad you're loving the series. I am, too! Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never been to Del Mar! I have checked out much of Southern California's Coast but this is a spot I have not explored. I have drove by many times but, for one reason or another, We have not stopped. The area where the restaurants and shops are have a nice village feeling. Also, I need to stop by Solana Beach. #TPThursday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have a nice village feeling - I popped into a few of the shops and next time I'd like to try some of the restaurants. Especially those with a view. Thanks for visiting, Ruth!

      Delete
  8. A train ride along that coast would be spectacular. Your sunset and beach shots are gorgeous; nothing better than a sandy beach. Thanks for linking up this week. #TPThursday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be great? I'm really going to have to concentrate on making that happen on one of my visits! Thanks for the linkup - and for the visit!

      Delete
  9. I've never been to San Diego or this beach - look lovely and great for those wanting to visit the race track. The train looks really scenic and fun ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. San Diego is quite the fun city - and the beaches are beautiful. Gonna have to make it on that train one day! Thanks for visiting, Jessica!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts