Exploring Old San Juan, Puerto Rico

The island of Puerto Rico was decimated by Hurricane Maria, a hurricane with Category 5 winds, in September 2017 causing some 90 billion dollars in damage. Over 6  months after the hurricane, 16% of the island is still without power. The city of Yabucoa, where Maria made landfall, is still reeling from the storm and still looks as if it hit yesterday. But the people of Puerto Rico are a resilient lot and they are up and running for business. The best way you can help is to visit and bring your tourism dollars. 

Mr. UR's college roommate lives in Puerto Rico. We visited him about 5 years ago and  decided it was time for another visit. We invited our kids to come along and our oldest daughter took us up on the invitation. She brought a friend and we spent a few days in San Juan, Puerto Rico's capital and most populous city, and then headed out to the northwest corner of the island in Rincon. We spent a day exploring the delightful Old San Juan with it's fort, colorful buildings and blue cobblestones. 


We started with lunch and I was on a mission to try  mallorca. Mallorca is a soft, eggy bread typically served for breakfast. We had already eaten breakfast, so we decided to try it for lunch. We headed to Cafeteria Mallorca- a coffee shop known for what else? Their mallorcas, served as an egg, swiss and cheese sandwich on mallorca bread and dusted with powdered sugar. This old school coffee shop is extremely popular - if you see a table, grab it - and the prices are fantastic. My mallorca did not disappoint. In fact, I think I could've eaten two. You just can't go wrong with the sweet and salty mixture. Our waiter twisted our arm and recommended the flan de queso - a cheesecake baked custard with caramel sauce - and a special cake with bits of coconut and whipped frosting. A delicious lunch. I highly recommend trying a mallorca while you're in Puerto Rico.





One of the main attractions in Old San Juan is  El Castillo San Felipe del Morro, the famous citadel with picturesque views on the water. It's part of the San Juan National Historic Site - also including the San Juan Gate and El Castillo de San Cristobal -  and is run by the US National Park Service. The 400 year old fort, with it's strategic location,  was the first place that sailors from Europe would reach with fresh water, food and supplies and it served as protection from invading colonies. It also served as a stepping stone for the Spanish to conquer other parts of the Americas with their jewels and gold. Visitors can walk the fort and take in the views along with taking a self-guided tour.
Photo credit: JC




Photo credit: JC










We enjoyed walking the city and popping our heads into some of the shops.We stopped into the very impressive Catedral de San Juan - or the Cathedral of San Juan - built in 1540 which is the oldest Cathedral in the United States and the second oldest cathedral in the Americas. Many come to the cathedral to visit the tomb of Ponce de Leon - that notorious searcher of youth and the first governor of Puerto Rico.  And we enjoyed some refreshments - and some air conditioning. Then it was time to go - we were off to kayak the bio luminescent bay at La Parguera!




Fancy a panama hat? Or a margarita?








Photo credit: JC


Photo credit: JC


 Old San Juan is a charismatic and colorful city and I enjoy my visit each time I'm there. 
Photo credit: JC




How about you? Have you been to Old San Juan? Better yet, have you tried mallorca?



Linking up with: WATW at Communal Global, Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Travelers Sandbox, The WEekly Postcard at Travel Notes and Beyond and The Weekend Wanderlust Travel Blog Party!






Comments

  1. Fantastic photos! This is a lovely place and I'm so glad you share with us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  2. thank you for taking us along on this fascinating trip. Happy travels. I am joining you today at Travel Photo Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And Happy Travels to you, also!

      Delete
  3. I think I take for granted that Puerto Rico is so close and I can visit whenever I like, even though I haven't been yet. We've been trying to decide on a short winter 2019 getaway and this post is making me lean towards San Juan being the place to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a unique place to visit - so close to the US, no passport needed, the Spanish & Caribbean vibes and plenty to see and do. Plus they need the tourism. I'd highly recommend it! Thanks for stopping by The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  4. What a colorful and scenic land. I don't know what I pictured in my mind, but your photos surprised me. I would love to see that old citadel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is colorful and scenic! Thanks for stopping by, Sharon!

      Delete
  5. I love Old San Juan - have been many times and just went this past Easter, April 1. It was a port on a cruise we took! We went to Barrachina for pina coladas and mofongo! And to Cristobol bc it was a closer walk from our cruise ship! #WeekendWanderlust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to try Barrachina next time - I love both pina coladas and mofongo! Thanks for visiting, Harmony!

      Delete
  6. I am so overcome with emotion with you post. As you know I am from Puerto Rico and this past six months have been hard for the people on the island (and for the Puerto Ricans outside the island too). Things are still not a hundred percent everywhere so, I am glad to see Old San Juan is up and running. I may visit later this year. I do not have concrete plans yet. I want to know about the bay in La Parguera. I heard it is still dark after the hurricane. I hope ii is back to normal. #WeekendWanderlust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it has been a difficult 6 months, Ruth, and I can't even imagine what the people of Puerto Rico have been through. I hope you make it back to visit and I, too , am glad that they are up and running in many parts of the island. As for La Parguera, the tour company we used for kayaking has been back to business since January. Prayers for all there! Thanks for visiting, Ruth, as always!

      Delete
  7. We have been to San Juan a few times and I am glad it is functioning again and ready to receive the tourists. Although, we've never had the Mallorca and I'll make sure to try one next time. El Morro is one our favorite places to visit. I have fond memories of my kids rolling down the grassy areas and flying a kite. Glad you enjoyed your visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lawn on El Morro is a fantastic area for picknicking and kite flying. There was no one there when we visited but our previous time was a Sunday afternoon and there were so many people enjoying the day. Thanks so much for visiting, Mary!

      Delete
  8. I went to Puerto Rico twice when I was a kid on family vacations. I don't remember much of it, but it was my first (and second) "foreign" trip, and I think that was what got me interested in travel. It was all just so different from the northeastern suburb we lived in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - Puerto Rico is a close place to visit but is so foreign and different. I'd love to go back soon. Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  9. I've never been to Puerto Rico but would love to go. It looks very colorful and the food looks delicious.
    #TravelPhotoThursday

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, delicious food and a very colorful island. Hope you make it there someday. Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts