July Beach of the Month: Naples, Florida

July's Beach of the Month is a unique one for me. Not only have I been there before, I used to live there. I'm the youngest in my family, and my dad decided to retire to his paradise - Naples, Florida - while I was still in my teens. The retirement didn't stick - he enjoyed working way too much - but I did spend a year living and attending school in southwest Florida.


I still have family who live there - and Mr. UR's parents lived in that area for years. For most, it's a tropical paradise to visit for vacation. Especially when the snow is flying up north. But for me it's a place I visit family. Which is what I was doing this month - and I managed to visit Naples Beach and put my toes in the sand, too.

When people ask me where Naples is, I usually respond with "last city on the Gulf Coast of Florida's mainland"( Marco Island  actually sits offshore and Everglades City and Goodland are more of a small town than cities) It's known for it's white sand beaches, the Naples Pier and the overall affluence of it's residents. That's not true for all obviously but there are some mighty wealthy people living here. (If you like to drive past large mansions and ogle at how the other half live, then Port Royal is your neighborhood to visit)



What started out as a private winter retreat for some wealthy Kentucky and Ohio businessmen drastically changed when the railroad reached Naples in 1927. Years of isolation drew to a close as people started making their way that far south and the paradise had been found. Growing from 390 residents back then, the Greater Naples area now has 300,000 residents - not including the tourists who come for the beach, the food, the glamorous resorts and the art scene.

What to do
Naples Downtown
Downtown Naples includes 3rd Street South, 5th Avenue and Tin City. The most historical part of the city includes shopping, dining, art galleries and the Historical Palm Cottage - built in 1895 it's the oldest house in Naples and is constructed of tabby mortar, a mixture of sand, shells and water.
Tin City is a group of shops and restaurants located on Naples Bay.
Historical Palm Cottage


The Naples Pier
Located at the end of 12th Avenue South, the historic Naples Pier features restrooms, showers and a concession stand. It's a favorite amongst fishermen and sunset watchers every night.


The Naples Zoo
The Naples Zoo at Caribbean Gardens was once the gardens of a local doctor but has since become a zoo for the whole family to visit and includes giraffe feedings and a Florida Panther exhibit.

Golf
There are some 70 golf courses in and around Naples including the Jack Nicklaus designed Bears Paw, the elite Grey Oaks Country Club along with Hibiscus Golf Club, one of the rare public courses.

And of course, you can visit all the Gulf Coast beaches from Marco Island to Ft. Myers - especially to check out the fantastic Gulf Coast sunsets.



Where to Stay
The Ritz Carlton, Naples
A luxury beach resort on the Gulf of Mexico which includes a spa, fine dining and 36 holes of championship golf

Naples Beach Hotel and Golf Club
Located on a 7 mile stretch of beach, with a spa, tennis center, golf course and a beach bar

The Inn on Fifth
A boutique hotel located on Fifth Avenue in the heart of Olde Naples (Forbes 4-star and AAA Four Diamond Inn)


Where to Eat
Kelly's Fish House Dining Room
A Naples staple serving seafood on the water since 1952

Shula's Steak House
Steakhouse owned by former Miami Dolphins coach Don Shula

The Dock at Crayton Cove
An open air restaurant on Naples Bay serving seafood

Brio Tuscan Grille
Located in the upscale Waterside Shops, Brio is a chain of Italian bistro's here in the US. The menu includes flatbread pizza's, seafood and steaks

So if you'd like a tiny bit of Europe thrown in with some magical sunsets, beautiful white sand beaches and upscale restaurants and hotels then Naples might just be the place for you. If my dad thought it was paradise, then you just might too!




How about you? Have you visited Naples or the Southwestern Coast of Florida?




Me and my 90 year old mom at the beach. I made her go watch the sunset with me - she hates the beach!




Catch up with other Beach of the Month posts:
JanuaryFebruary,MarchAprilMay and June



Linking up with: Women Around the World at Communal Global, The Weekly Postcard at Travel Notes and Beyond, The Weekend Wanderlust Weekend Travel Blog Party and Sharon's Souvenirs!







Comments

  1. When I was between 8 and 10, we lived in St. Pete, and together with my two brothers, we made the most of the beach and water!! I could not deal with the heat now ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such good memories! I still deal with the heat now - thank goodness for air conditioning! Thanks for visiting, Angie!

      Delete
  2. I visited Naples with my dad and sister for a family getaway a few years ago. We loved the restaurants, sailing on the gulf and checking out all those waterfront mansions where the other half lives, going to the beach, and visiting the botanical garden. We didn't make it to Tin City, but maybe we will on a future visit! #WeekendWanderlust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a cool area that few people know about compared to Miami or Orlando. Glad you had such a good visit with your family! Thanks for visiting, Erin!

      Delete
  3. This post made me more excited of my travel to Florida in two weeks! I will consider visiting Naples beach, love the European vibe! #theweeklypostcard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you make it to Naples - and enjoy your travels in Florida! Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  4. I've never spent time on the coasts of Florida. My family is from Jacksonville, but we never made it to the harbor. The beautiful sky pictures I see are definitely making my wanderlust to spend a weekend in this region though! It looks so lovely and peaceful at sunrise and sunset - and the sand is so white!! #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naples does have beautiful white sand and sunsets! I enjoy visiting Jacksonville, too. Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  5. Never been to Florida, but from your post, can see Naples is a beautiful place. What amazing sunsets! Love it that your mom hates the beach. She must be there for the balmy weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't know my mom yet you get her ha ha! She's definitely there for the weather :) Thanks for visiting, Cynthia!

      Delete
    2. Jill I tweeted about your post but I couldn't figure out what your twitter handle was :(. I'm at https://twitter.com/Adventuringgal, lets connect.

      Delete
  6. Naples looks like the place to visit. I live in Florida but have not been here yet but after seeing these amazing photos I will have to take a weekend trip here. Great information. Pinned for later use. #WeekendWanderlust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you make it down to Naples for a visit. And thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  7. This looks incredible! All the images are very beautiful and eye-catching.
    Best Regards
    Alexa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts