Visiting Nashville: The Grand Ole Opry

On my way to work as a travel agent in my early twenties, I seemed to drive through a black hole of radio stations. My only choices in music were classical, oldies and country. I'd switch between the three but more often than not, I'd land on the country station. I hadn't been a country fan before but now it was becoming my genre of choice. Fast forward several years and I started attending country concerts and then, Fan Fair in Nashville. My mom and I attended this country music festival for several years and it was always a good time. An extremely hot, but fun, time. We met many nice people over the years and enjoyed all that Nashville has to offer. Including a visit to the show that made country music famous, The Grand Ole Opry.  As my mom got older, the heat and the walking got to be too much for her so we stopped attending. But we both still enjoy listening to country music.


Fast forward to now and my mom is 91. Her health is fantastic - especially for someone who is 91 - and she still really enjoys going to live shows. Last week I took her to see the Grand Ole Opry and we took a side detour to see a show on the General Jackson Showboat on the Cumberland River. 

The Grand Ole Opry
Most people don't know that the Grand Ole Opry is an actual radio show and is broadcast weekly through 650 AM WSM on your radio dial. What started as The WSM Barn Dance in 1925 is now Nashville's Number One Attraction, combining the acts of old with today's favorite country artists. People come from all over the world to see and hear the show live - the man who kindly took our photo was visiting with his wife from France. 


The show we saw included: old timer Whisperin Bill Anderson, Christian singer Zach Williams, Bluegrass Band Dailey & Vincent, country singer Cam, the iconic Charlie Daniels Band ( a definite crowd favorite), newcomer Scooter Brown Band and the headliner, Little Big Town. The Opry always presents a good mix of old and new music and never ceases to be entertaining. Even if you're not a country music fan, I think you'll like the Opry!



The General Jackson Showboat
We boarded the General Jackson Showboat for the lunchtime show entitled A Taste of Tennessee which included a buffet lunch, show and cruise down the Cumberland River. Launched in 1985 and named after the first steamboat on the Cumberland, the General Jackson is one of the largest showboats ever built. When you board, you are given your table number and then you can pass through the buffet line. The hour long show, which highlights the music of Tennessee including Elvis Presley songs, rhythm and blues, country and bluegrass, starts shortly after. The boat continues along the river until it reaches the city of Nashville where you can view the skyline of the city. On the return trip, you can purchase a drink and enjoy the serenity of the Cumberland. 


There are several other shows on the General Jackson including dinner and Christmas shows. Prices and times vary  (you can get a great skyline view of the city on the dinner cruise)In all, it's an enjoyable experience - the food was good, the scenery was nice and the show was entertaining. I might suggest going sometime other than the hot, humid Tennessee summertime but other than that it made for an enjoyable afternoon.

How about you? Have you been to the Grand Ole Opry? Or on the General Jackson Showboat?


Linking up with: My Corner of the World at Photographing New Zealand and The Weekend Wanderlust Weekend Travel Blog Party!















Comments

  1. How great that you could have a great time with your mom! The photos are awesome, too. I remember watching the Grand Ol' Opry on TV as a kid.

    I enjoyed your post at 'My Corner of the World' this week!


    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betty - it's a very entertaining show to see. And thanks for the link-up, too!

      Delete
  2. On my last trip to the states, I routed a trip through Nashville. This visits was one of my highlights for the entire trip. I visited the Grand Ole Opry but, unfortunately, I did not get to go to a show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nashville is one of my favorite cities and it's enjoying it's moment in the sun right now, so to speak. Glad you were able to visit when you were here in the US. Thanks for stopping by The Unpaved Road!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts