Snorkeling Australia's Great Barrier Reef

If you ask anyone who doesn't live in Australia where they would visit there, you would probably get lots of different answers. The Outback and the mystical Uluru. Sydney and it's iconic harbor. Melbourne and it's graffiti covered Lanes. Maybe Adelaide and it's wine country. Our first choice when visiting our daughter there was to visit the Great Barrier Reef. Since I'd never been before, I wasn't really sure where to even start with the planning. (The logistics alone were a bit daunting as I had to figure out whether to fly to the Reef first or Sydney first or in the middle - who knew the best way?) After hours of research we settled on flying from Sydney to Airlie Beach, which is along the eastern coast of Australia, where we rented an Air BnB condo with views of the water in this small beach town. I'm really happy with my decision - it worked out well for us and visiting the reef was one of the coolest things I've ever done. Come along as we snorkel the Great Barrier Reef!


To drive from Sydney to Airlie Beach would take about 12 hours which would have been an enjoyable road trip if we had unlimited vacation days. Which we didn't. So we booked a flight on Virgin Australia from Sydney to the small - very small - one room airport outside of Airlie Beach. We arranged transportation from the airport, instead of renting a car, which dropped us in Airlie Beach. It went very smoothly - the transport company does this several times per day - and our only issue was not being able to get into our Air BnB condo right away. After some time we were able to check in and take a respite from the heat. It was late November - so springtime - and the weather was already very hot, and humid. But the next day we would be riding a boat out to the reef!


The first thing I'll tell you is that this was not cheap. No ho, not in any way! But we decided to splurge on this once in a lifetime experience. If you decide to visit the Great Barrier Reef, prepare for sticker shock! There are many, many options to visit the Reef from Airlie Beach all the way up to Cairns with everything from helicopter rides, family packages and reef sleeps included. After doing my aforementioned research, I decided to book with Cruise Whitsundays and was overall, happy with my decision. Our booking included: transportation to and from the reef through the Whitsunday Islands, 4 hours at Hardy Reef, Snorkeling and all gear provided including stinger suits to protect against jellyfish, a semi-submarine tour, tea and buffet lunch. Not included was guided snorkeling, scuba diving or a helicopter tour. But the bonus with booking through Cruise Whitsundays was an extra half day tour to Whitehaven Beach at no extra cost. So we received a day and a half touring for the cost of one day. Good deal. And if you're interested in spending more money for more experience, you can spend the night on the reef booking a Reef Sleep, sleeping in a tent on the pontoon or Reef Suite, Australia's first underwater accommodation on the reef. (If money was no object, I would've done the Reef Sleep in a heartbeat)


We were to be at the boat bright and early at 7am for our 3 hour ride out to the reef. There is a small cafe in the terminal where we grabbed some breakfast - though there is coffee and tea available on the boat - and we were off. The crew checks on everyone during the ride and gives out seasickness medicine - our visit was on a particularly rough day - and you fill out medical release forms. There was one stop at Hamilton Island - the luxury resort island known here in the US as one of the places that Oprah lives - to pick up or drop off passengers. Next stop: the Great Barrier Reef!


      


After our departure from Hamilton Island, we passed through the last of the Whitsunday's and then we were in open ocean. Upon arrival, the boat docked up to the pontoon and we decided to ride in the semi-submarine to see some of the reef through the windows. Due to the roughness of the water, the submarine went to a part of the reef that it normally didn't. And because of Typhoon Debbie that had hit earlier, there wasn't much to see on the reef. Bleached out coral and some fish. Luckily, we had much more luck with the snorkeling.


Since we only had 4 hours to visit, we got our stinger suits on and got to the water. Though I've snorkeled many places - Hawaii, Mexico, the Caribbean - I'm still not a great fan. I just don't like a mask on my face or the breathing tube in. I don't even swim with goggles on - ever. But I followed my daughter and Mr. UR into the water. And immediately started hyperventilating and panicking. I disappointingly headed back up to the pontoon, took my suit off and decided to take photos instead.( I found it amazing that I wasn't the only one not snorkeling - some tourists were in dresses and suits and came just for the helicopter ride!) But after a few minutes and a pep talk to myself, I knew I had to try again. Only one chance, right? The second time was the charm as I took my time and got my breathing routine down. And wow! What an incredible experience. There were colorful fish everywhere and I even followed a sea turtle for awhile.I'd have to say that it was the best and most colorful ocean life I have ever seen. Cruise Whitsunday's has a license to feed the fish which they do on the hour and seeing them swarm in was also amazing. There were plenty of staff on hand to give help if needed and point out sea life they had spotted.  And Mr. UR and my daughter tried scuba diving for the first time.
  


Before I knew it, it was time to grab some lunch at the buffet and we had to head back to Airlie Beach. It was a very long day as we arrived back to port around 7:30 pm but I'd have to say it was one of the most incredible experiences I've ever had- seeing all the sea life and just being out on the most beautiful aqua water - and I feel so very fortunate that we were able to visit the reef. 


How about you? Do you like to snorkel? Have you been to the Great Barrier Reef?


Linking up with: My Corner of the World at Photographing New Zealand!






Editors Note: Please be aware that many places are closed right now due to the Corona virus pandemic. We will, however, continue to write about travel to inspire you to travel in the future when it is safe.

Comments

  1. Wow, that sounds like a trip of a lifetime! Thanks for sharing your experience and your photos. I've always wanted to go there.

    I am excited to see your corner at 'My Corner of the World' this week! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Betty - it was the trip of a lifetime! Now I've set my sights on your beautiful New Zealand . Fingers crossed I can visit in a few years! Thanks for the link-up and for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fantastic trip! I am so envious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fantastic, Veronica! Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts