The Florida Keys- Sunsets, Snorkeling, and Key Lime Pie

I have loved the Florida Keys from the very first time I went there. To me, it's a magical chain of islands surrounded by turquoise water with gorgeous sunsets and a laid back, tropical vibe. What more could one want? I'm highlighting three of my favorite things about the Keys: Sunsets, Snorkeling and Key Lime Pie. (To be sure, though, there are many more!)



SUNSETS

Few places in the world offer better sunset gazing than the Florida Keys. From Key Largo all the way down to Key West, you'll find tourists and locals alike gathering every night to see those red, pink, yellow, mauve and orange sunsets happen. 

Our hotel, The Marathon Courtyard, even offered a nightly sunset ritual which included drink specials at the pool bar, a floating fire pit to float your cares away and sunset views from a hammock. I don't think we ever missed it. 



The best sunset we saw was at the aptly named Sunset Grille & Raw Bar. Located right by the start of the Seven Mile Bridge, Sunset Grille is a popular spot to watch the sunset every night and enjoy a daily sunset shot, too. And if the sunset doesn't draw you in then how about the Sunday Funday beach and pool party including cornhole tourneys, dj, food and drink specials and a poolside bbq. They are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner plus happy hour and you can dock your boat right at the restaurant. (Though it was incredibly disappointing that they were out of Key Lime Pie )




SNORKELING
Most people think that the Keys are a beach lovers paradise. But that's not the case. Other parts of Florida are known for their wide, expansive beaches - like the Panhandle or Miami Beach - but the Keys are more known for scuba diving, fishing and snorkeling. So that's what we decided to do on our visit. 


For those of you who know us, you know that renting a boat for the day is one of our favorite activities. We rented from and took their suggestion on where to snorkel - Sombrero Reef. They supplied us with a map - gave some key pointers - and we were off.

Notice the name of the boat!

We headed to the reef first. About 30 minutes into our ride we were surrounded by dolphins.  This has only happened to me twice (you can read about the other time here) so I was glad to spend a few still minutes taking it all in. So magical! 




We made it to the reef a few minutes later and tied off one of the buoys. For the most part we were the only boat there - there were one or two for a few moments or passing through. The water was a beautiful turquoise but very cold and a bit choppy. Mr. UR took the plunge but I was a bit more wimpy and decided to use my mask off the ladder so I didn't have to submerge my whole body. I still saw plenty of fish and bounced around in the chop.

Despite the conditions, it was still excellent snorkeling in the clear water and in the shadow of Sombrero Key Light. The lighthouse was built in 1858 by General George Meade, who defeated Robert E. Lee at Gettysburg and was to help boats involved in the salvaging industry. This industry was declared illegal some 30 years after the lighthouse was built though it remains in this triangular Sanctuary Preservation Area.

Our boat rental company suggested a short cruise through a channel after our snorkeling which is exactly what we did. We saw some nice homes, sailboat communities and waved to other boaters as we cruised through the mangroves. 



After that it was time for a stop and a snack before we cruised back though Florida Bay to return our boat. A sunny and successful day exploring Vaca Key and it's environs with a fun ending - there was a manatee hanging out at the boat dock! 






Key Lime Pie

One of my favorite things to do when I visit the Keys is try all the key lime pies.!(Amazingly, I didn't know I even liked Key Lime Pie - my mom doesn't like it so it was never made or purchased at my home growing up - and didn't find out that I did until I was an adult.)There are as many different styles and tastes as there are in regular pies so it's fun to see - and try- them all. Here are a few samples:

Snapper's - Key Largo

Our first stop was at Snapper's in Key Largo. We stopped here on our way down to Marathon for a late lunch and of course, a slice of Key Lime pie. This was a classic piece of Key Lime - yellow in color with a dollop of whipped cream - and I think it was the overall winner for me. I think I could eat this every day!







Castaway Waterfront & Sushi Bar - Marathon

This old school waterfront joint (to be clear it's located on a canal, not oceanfront) has been featured on Diner, Drive-In's and Dives. Built in 1951 and originally a place to get beer and shrimp steamed in beer, they boast an incredible sushi menu and homemade Key Lime Pie. This was very good also - c'mon I'm gonna like all of them - but was much lighter and had an almost gelatin like consistency. Still yummy. And Castaways itself  is quite the unique experience!

Bonus - Another Manatee Sighting!


Mile Marker 88 - Key Largo

This was our last stop before we left the Keys - we had lunch here at this waterfront restaurant on an extremely windy day. The atmosphere is fantastic here - very laid back with some tables that are swings and exceptional views - but the food was just so-so and a bit overpriced. 



This was the most unique piece of Key lime pie I had during the entire 5 days. Topped with sky high meringue, this piece was like eating air. Not my favorite but then again I'm not much of a meringue lover. I do think it won for most photogenic slice of pie though! Did I finish it? I did - with a little help from Mr. UR!





A Cheat -

Monty's Sunset - South Beach, Miami

This one is a cheat because Monty's Sunset is not located in the Keys. But, being in Miami, it's close enough for me. Monty's is casual patio dining with a pool overlooking a marina. 


Their Key Lime Pie was denser with a very unique graham cracker crust - hints of cinnamon and other spices in it - and once again, was yummy. Still haven't met a slice I didn't like!




So there you have it - three things that are wonderful about visiting the Florida Keys! 


How about you? Have you been to the Keys? Do you like Key Lime Pie?



Linking up with: My Corner of the World at Photographing New Zealand!




 


Comments

  1. What a wonderful adventure! You have proved that the reputation for that area is true and beautiful! And the pie is to die for :)

    Thanks for sharing your link at My Corner of the World this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! I go to the Keys every chance that I get! And thanks for the link-up!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts